Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LatunLuvr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Renting a home already under Foreclosure to a Tenant
    I live in Iowa and recently rented a home that was in the process of Foreclosure without knowing it. I moved in on 12/18/06, after the Foreclosure was filed and the Foreclosure was finally awarded to the bank on 4/06/07.

I had to purchase all of the appliances to fill this home (fridge, oven, dishwasher to fill the huge hole in the cabinets), plus things like lawnmowers and such. I came out of an apartment so I didn't have any of these items already.

Are there any laws against renting a property in the Foreclosure process?

My landlord was 6 payments in the rears ( I received a copy of the court documents) at the time they rented me the property and had no intention of catching up the payments.

I want to take them to small claims for punitive damages, but I'm just not sure what to do. Regardless if they're broke, the pressure of owing the money would suffice for me as punishment enough if I was awarded in court.

Any advice appreciated.

Aaron Lopez
    steviebeezie Posts: 66, Reputation: 13

May 23, 2007, 12:25 PM
    I don't know, but you're probably wasting your time and your money going after a guy who is broke. You have every right to be angry, but, honestly, you need to let this one go. Talk to a lawyer--if they actually think you have a case they'll take you on pro bono (no charge until the case is won). If you can't get that, I'd move on with my life if I were you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure-tenant rights [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved to Florida and signed a lease for one year beginning on February 1, 2007. I received mail addressed to Jane Doe, tenant, notifiying me that the home I rent has been foreclosed upon and will be sold in less than 3 weeks at an auction. Do I have any rights or claims as to the time...

Renting a home owned and buying another [ 4 Answers ]

We are in the process of buying a new home to be built in June 07 and will have to mortgage 160k. We currently own a 8 month old home (paid for in cash). However my husband wants to rent this home to pay for the mortgage on the other new home, I say sell, he says rent ! I'd rather sell and be...

Tenant rights during foreclosure (virginia) [ 11 Answers ]

I'm renting a house in virginia that I just found out is being foreclosed upon. The landlord won't answer his phone or emails inquiring about the foreclosure. There is an auction for the house on nov. 8. and the winner has to close on the house in 15 days. I want to know what my rights are? ...

What if your landlord sales the home while you are renting? [ 2 Answers ]

We have a rental agreement until 10/30/2006. We just found out that our landlord has sold the house. I know our contract is still good until Oct. but could we move out without penalty or does our contract transfer to the new owner? We live in Florida.

View more questions Search