Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

May 5, 2005, 02:22 AM
    Can you control your dreams?
    Since I don't really have a better place to put this thread in, here it goes.

I am wondering if there is a way to have some kind of influence on your dreams? I know people dream whenever they sleep, but my problem is - I RARELY remember my dreams, and I would like to remember. Also, I would like to be able to control my dreams, if possible... direct events in the dream the way I want them. Is that possible? Anyone has any web sites to provide regarding this subject?

Also, I don't know if it's relevant, but I used to remember my dreams. I used to have nightmares for about 3-4 months every day, dreaming that someone is chasing me with a knife, and would eventually get me and then start stabbing and cutting. It was awful, and I was actually praying that I never remember my dreams again. Now, the nightmares did stop, and for a long time I didn't remember my dreams, but today I do remember one, and it was awesome, so I don't want to stop remembering again! :)
    drali77 Posts: 127, Reputation: 5

May 5, 2005, 03:50 PM
    There are many phases during sleep , we normally see dreams during rapid eye moment (rem) sleep, while you have a good sleep and spent most of your sleep during non rapid eye moment so u don't remember your dreams
    Other way of having some benefits from sleep is to do some astral projection .
    Below is a link which ll give you some idea of astral projection.

www.astralvoyage.com

Cheers :)
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

May 6, 2005, 07:23 AM
    Remembering and controlling your dreams
    You have probably chosen not to remember your dreams because you had some nightmares. Now you are ready to remember and ready to change them. Just the desire to remember is sometimes not enough. What you need to do to get back in the habit of remembering is to put your camera underneath your pillow and "take it with you" into dreamland. You can actually put your real camera under your pillow or just put a pretend one there. It may work a lot better if you put your real one. Then tell yourself that you will remember to take pictures during your dreams. You will find yourself in your dream with your camera snapping away and you will be much more likely to remember this. This is a good start.
    YES, you can control your dreams. You can become aware in them and decide what to dream, pick who is there with you, change something you don't like into something you do and so forth. Now, one of the things we do in dreams is to "rehearse". So if you were having nightmares you were dealing with things that are difficult for you and you need to deal with these things. If you can become aware of this in the dream and take control and change your dream then you WILL have changed how you create your waking reality. I could go on and on! If you want more info let me know.
    Otherwise, good luck in dreamland, which is really just the land of the psyche.
    Patty

May 6, 2005, 08:46 AM
    Thank you both for your answers. I will take a better look at the site as soon as I get some time.

2 keenu: I do want more info... actually, you cannot give me too much info, since I'm really curious about this! :) I will definitely try the camera thing, although I won't put it under the pillow because I'll break it :) Will be on the floor under the bed though :)

I'm especially interested in methods to practice regaining the ability to remember dreams, and excercises I could do to try and control my dreams, IF there actually are such excercises :)

Thanks!

May 6, 2005, 12:40 PM
    If you really want to remember your dreams and want to explorer that etheric world just do some medition and some astral techniques and explorer that amazing world .
    Normally every person go in that astral dimension while sleeping but most of them are not aware of it .
    Below is a link for a short description for astral projection and tibet bhudda's method of meditation , hope this will help you out and please send your feedback .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection

http://www.buddhanet.net/ebooks_m.htm

Cheers

May 8, 2005, 06:58 AM
    Thank you very much for the links. One of these sites took me to a site about Lucid Dreaming. It was exactly what I was looking for! I found a few exercises, which go in a few steps and will start writing my "dream diary".

Hopefully I will have something to write into it :)

Thanks again!
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

May 9, 2005, 04:19 PM
    Lucid dreaming and more
    I went to the site mentioned. It's a good site. Lots of info. Yes, keeping a dream diary is quite helpful. I have kept records off and on for years. Very sporadically and not nearly enough... but what is enough? It is a lot of fun but you have to record the dream immediately so you don't forget it. The most important thing is to record the "feel" of the dream first. How did you feel? Then write the dream down and then start to get into it and try to see where it was leading. Lots of my dreams are really easy to figure out a few days later. Red usually means warning or something you need to pay attention to. Your collection of dream symbols will be uniquely your own but many ARE shared. Always ask yourself what they mean TO YOU. You will have your answer. I dreamed once that my car would run better without meat. Guess who the car was? I had taken my camera into my dream with me and was taking pictures of hamburger and roast beef. Guess who was a vegetarian for a while? Anyway, try to become lucid during your dreams and try not to wake up as soon as you become lucid, that is where I have some problems. Have fun!
    Patty

May 10, 2005, 09:07 AM
    Lucid dreaming is the initial stage of astral projection.
    When you start luciding the first thing you feel is the sense of vibration (seperation of etheric body from the body cage),second is the fear of unknown ,progressing to the astral world . My teacher told me there are seven worlds of dimensions.As your soul become strong you progress to the other worlds but its impossible to progress more than astral world if you want to you have to leave your body forever(death).

Cheers

May 28, 2005, 09:54 AM
    Just wanted to give you updates of my progress.

I have remembered about 10 dreams since I asked the initial question, and 3 of them have been quite long and VERY interesting. One of them was probably the longest dream I remember until now.

I have felt a few times that something is strange (in a dream) but I haven't been aware that I'm dreaming.

I truly enjoy dreaming again... thank you all once again for great sites! :)

May 28, 2005, 12:35 PM
    If you want to develop your psychic powers do some breathing exercises,meditation and keep dreaming (astral travel) and if you want to know about more how to develop them just write me and I will send you the address of more sites.

Cheers
    MIC_82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2005, 12:15 PM
    Contolling Your Dreams
    Controlling your dreams is completely possible, and can be taught to anyone who is willing and capable... Anyone who is interested in learning can contact me at [email protected]

Jul 18, 2005, 12:47 PM
    Just to give some more updates on my progress.

All I did until know was keeping my dream journal. I almost regularly dream every night. Yesterday, for instance, I know I dreamed 3 dreams. Two of them, I woke up as soon as my girlfriend appeared in the dream, and all I remember of them is that she appeared and that I woke up. But I also dreamed a long dream that I remembered when I woke up, but as I am sick right now, didn't get up to write it down, so I forgot it later on.

Anyway, I dream again, regulary, and feel so much happier! Thanks again!
    BSN22 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2005, 06:57 PM
    Journals
    Keeping a journal at your bedside sometimes helps. If you wake up and immediately go to the journal, you may find that you do remember more often than you think

Sep 23, 2005, 03:08 PM
    Thanks man.

For now, I'm quite happy with my new ability to dream again.

A few years back I had these awful nightmares of killing someone with a knife, or being killed with a knife. Everything was so realistic, all the thrusts and cuts felt so real. To not go into details now (which were ***VERY*** detailed), I just wished I never dream again. So soon my nightmares stopped, along with my dreams.

Now I dream again, and some are VERY nice dreams, so I'm just happy for the time being to be able to dream nice things again.

I will give your idea a try though when I'm ready. Thank you!
    dimples Posts: 256, Reputation: 9

Sep 24, 2005, 01:57 PM
    When you go to sleep, the first few minutes or hours, you usually take control of your dreams. Your mind is active. You think about what you want for the future, what you think will happen tom, the girl you saw earlier,etc but as your sleep deepens, you are not actively controlling your dreams then. However, they mirror all suppressed feelings or thoughts you keep to yourself. So, I guess you do control your dreams but not entirely.
    mayogev Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2005, 10:20 PM
    Dreams can come true?
    Why we need to control our dreams?
    And what dreams have to do with every day life?
    Its possible to get true answer in dreams?
    Thanks ahead

Oct 30, 2005, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mayogev
    why we need to control our dreams?
    and what dreams have to do with every day life?
    its possible to get true answer in dreams?
    thanks ahead
    I can just say that controlling your dreams can be interesting, because in dreams you can fly, you can "summon" a Honda NSX and drive it (which I CANNOT afford in real life) and basically do things you cannot do in real life. That's why one would want to be able to control dreams.
    spidermonkey420 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 01:56 PM
    I have found that if I awake while in the middle of a dream I can usually fall back into it with a semiconscious perspective and actually influence the direction of my dreams. It is really fun and enjoyable when it happens.
    ahwoon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 09:56 PM
    When I was younger I was able to control my dreams for a short period. It all happened quite by accident. One morning I woke from a wonderful dream. I was bound and determined to go back to that dream so I concentrated on that dream for as long as it took me to fall back asleep. I would recommend trying this in the morning where it is easier to fall back asleep in a short period (unless you're just dead tired). What happened with me was as soon as I fell back asleep and went back to that dream my mind realized that I had in fact made myself dream what I wanted to. As soon as this realization was made it was like I "woke" in the dream and could control every aspect of it. I was only in complete control for about a week and this was attained every time by focusing on what I wanted to dream until I fell asleep. After I started losing complete control I still to this day can wake myself up (physically) out of a bad or unpleasant dream. I would recommend when trying this to be real specific in your mind as to what you want to dream about. Create a scenerio with details. I don't know if this will work for everyone and come to think about it I haven't even tried it since. This is how I was able to do it and hopefully it will work for others too. Sweet Dreams.
    laminator07 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2009, 04:01 PM
    I know that you can control your dreams and stuff but in my case its weird.
    Like when I'm dreaming, I am self conscious of myself within the dream
    However I can't control it at all
    In the dream I will try to control it but when I do that I wake up
    Its like when my mind realizes that I am aware, it wakes me up
    Its weird I want to control my dreams!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dreams [ 6 Answers ]

I know that some people may not believe that a dream has any importance. For a lot of dreams maybe they do not. I do believe that possibility that every dream we have has some kind of meaning, whether it is trying to work out our daily troubles to actually letting us know of the future. Since...

Dreams [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Two years ago this month (November) I had a very close friend to die suddenly from a heart defect that she new nothing about. She left behind two small children and a husband. I often have dreams of her, and it is my understanding that when a loved one has passed on,that they will come to...

Dreams [ 5 Answers ]

Is it normal for pups to dream, cry out, and have her eyes wide open like she's scared? She's 9 weeks old and often "runs" in her sleep and makes noises, which is normal, she "sucks" as if she's nursing, which I also know is normal, but a couple of times it's as if she's afraid of something,...

My girlfriends dreams [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I were friends for about 3 years before we realised that we both wanted each other. I had a girlfriend before her, and she was my friend through that... And ever since my new girlfriend and I have been going out she tells me that she has dreams that my ex and I always get back...

View more questions Search