Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    red3474 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Controlling a 24v smartvalve with a 120v thermostat
    I need help...

I have searched the web and need some help with gas valves.

I am building a outdoor oven and want to control the temperature using a 120v thermostat. But I want to use a Honeywell smartvalve with intermittent pilot. What is the best was to do this?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 21, 2007, 06:31 PM
    I would pick up any little 24 volt transformer and wire its primary side to the thermostat, and the secondary to the valve. Some of the more experienced people here post nasty things about the Smart Valve. The search feature here works very well.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 21, 2007, 09:26 PM
    Smart valves are junk. They have a serious connector problem and also lock up. You can use a 120 volt stat with a 24 volt valve but you will need a 24 volt transformer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing old 5-wire 120v thermostat to Digital [ 1 Answers ]

Wow- what an awesome resource this site is... I am glad I found it. Ok... I have an old HoneyWell 5 wire, line voltage, 120v thermostat (T651E 1000 8049), which runs the HVAC air/heat system in my condo. It is broken, and I would like to replace it with a digital thermostat, but I can't...

Replacing a 120v analog thermostat with four input trminals with a digital one [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old analog thermostat which controls the heating in my condo. I want to replace it with a new digital thermostat. The present setup has four wires coming out of the electrical box. They are BROWN, BLUE, RED and BLACK. The BLACK wire is connected to the on/off switch. The RED wire is...

Connecting a 24v ac thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

So I'm trying to help my ant hook up a new thermostat. To tell you the truth I don't know the brand of it. All I know is that it has R C W Y G I only have R W Y G wires coming out. I think I need one more wire to connect to the T'stat for the display to come on since its powere by 24v ac. Do I...

24v Thermostat to Millivolt Propane Fireplace Insert [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing a millivolt thermostat that controls my Regency Fireplace insert. Coming off the insert are two wires that when connected together open the gas valve and the fireplace insert begins operation. I purchased a new thermostat that allows me to call the thermostat...

Wiring Thermostat-High Voltage to 24v [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the process of having my 1941 oil boiler replaced with a new gas boiler, and I want to replace my line voltage thermostat with a 24v programmable thermostat. At thermostat now is 110 with 1 black and 1 white. I know I will need a 24v transformer but don't know exactly how to wire this. Can...

View more questions Search