Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    citygirl07 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Time to call it quits?
    I've been married for 14 years and have not been happy for a great deal of it. I have two children, which is what has kept me in the marriage. I've always told myself that I'd stay for the kids, and leave when they are grown. My husband & I don't fight much so I didn't think the kids saw a whole lot of negativity. I've just discovered that my oldest child has noticed that things just aren't quite right. I just blew it off and didn't discuss it with her, but there is no telling what she is thinking. I'm wondering if it's time to call it quits. I've heard that sometimes staying together for the kids is not always a good thing, but I don't know how it could be all that bad either.
    pergammano Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

May 22, 2007, 05:14 AM
    I can only relate to my own experience. I thot & did the same as you. I did not realize my son had picked up on all the "quiet dissention" & how unhappy it made him, until I inadvertently overheard him telling a friend. His words were something to the affect "Mom & Dad would be so much better seperated, I love them both equally, but they are not good friends, anymore and that's just nasty." (He was 9 at the time.) I reevaluated my situation and realized I wasn't doing the family any favours. My husband and I divorced... but NEVER, not once was there disparaging words about his father. His father and I are now friends & my son is physically & mentally happy & healthy. I do encourage you to NOT speak ill of each other, the only loser will be you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 22, 2007, 04:14 PM
    What is the cause of this unhapiness? Do you know?
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

May 22, 2007, 04:17 PM
    I agree with the other answers/users.

But do you know what the cause of your unhappiness is coming from?
    Is it something that can be fixed?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Quitting is the easy way out. Why not some counseling. Why not fight to get over rough patches. Marriage is a lifetime, marriage is a commitement that is supposed to be forever. So why not put all your effort into trying to make it work. Do things to try to make it improve get some marriage counseling in. See if it can be saved, especially after 14 years. I am sure it can be.
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

May 22, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Quitting is the easy way out. Why not some counseling. Why not fight to get over rough patches. Marriage is a lifetime, marriage is a commitement that is supposed to be forever. So why not put all your effort into trying to make it work. Do things to try to make it improve get some marriage counseling in. See if it can be saved, especially after 14 years. I am sure it can be.

Yes, very good answer!

May 22, 2007, 08:17 PM
    There are many reasons for the unhappiness. We did counseling about 8 years ago. It wasn't very effective. I'm not sure that I care enough to even try anymore, so I guess some soul searching is in order. Thanks for all your input.
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Eight years ago is a long time. Maybe it did not work because one or both of you were not willing to actually work on it. It is your choice on what to do but to me it sounds like you want an easy out. It sounds to me that maybe there is another reason behind this decision. Is there something your leaving out in your posts?

Joe
    Expert

May 22, 2007, 09:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by citygirl07
    There are many reasons for the unhappiness. We did counseling about 8 years ago. It wasn't very effective. I'm not sure that I care enough to even try anymore, so I guess some soul searching is in order. Thanks for all your input.
    You sound bad and for some reason you haven't told us anything we can help you with so some info could help. Help us understand what the problem is. Do you need a doctor or what?
    pergammano Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

May 23, 2007, 05:00 AM
    I really don't think a person should be chastised for opting out. Only she knows, what her heart knows. To thine own self be true! There comes a point when you know you are exhausted from trying everything. I tried every service available. We never stop growing emotionally, and sometimes we grow apart! Sometimes there is no fix, so it is better to fix yourself and your environment. And sometimes when you take a breather, and look from the outside in, you can see what needs to be fixed, you mend it, or both mend it and it's better than new. No-one whom has been married 14 years has been taking marriage lightly... so I believe you are giving it your best shot. Make well, thought out decisions! God Bless You!

May 23, 2007, 05:12 AM
    There is nothing that I'm leaving out that would really help you answer the question. I just wanted to know the thoughts of others... not for you to solve my problems. I've been uhappy so long because of various ex-wife issues, step-children issues, lack of communication (but we're working on that), and many other things, in addition to the fact that he's let himself go. The saddness and stress for me has gotten to the point that it is physically unhealthy, but I've stayed for the children. They are close to both of us, and it would not be easy. I do understand that it is a problem of our own making, and will only be fixed by both of us. Thank you pergammano for seeing that I am not taking this lightly and am not looking for an easy fix. I'm not trying to move on to another man, and I only have 1 friend outside my marriage so it's not like I want him to go so I can party and mess around. In fact, I'm sure it would be quite lonely. The bottom line still remains that I don't want the "quiet dissention", as pergammano put it, to have the same negative affect on my children.

May 23, 2007, 05:32 AM
    Okay, I've thought about this some more, and realized that I wasn't real clear on the issues. Ex-wife issues: we don't really have them now since we've been married so long, but we started with ex-wife problems and it caused tremendous stress on our relationship for about the first 6 years of our marriage. Step-children: still have problems, but I won't go into them: essentially, she isn't welcome in my home and around my children and that is obviously a problem for my husband. Lack of communication: we are working on that, but the only thing we can find to discuss is who is picking up which child and taking the other to wherever they need to be. We have been more friends than lovers for quite some time. I really can't pinpoint every problem in our marriage. I think things have just built up over the years, and I feel like life is too short to live this way.
    Expert

May 23, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Hi Citygirl, If I may ask how many children you have and everyone's age including you and your husbands?
    The fact that he's let himself go. The saddness and stress for me has gotten to the point that it is physically unhealthy, but I've stayed for the children. They are close to both of us, and it would not be easy. I do understand that it is a problem
    I don't quite understand what you mean by let himself go.

May 23, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Hi Citygirl, If I may ask how many children you have and everyones age including you and your husbands??

I don't quite understand what you mean by let himself go.
    I'm 36, he's 46. Children 13 & 10.

He let himself go in appearance. Shallow as it is, he's about 40 lbs overweight and it's extremely unattractive.
    Uber Member

May 23, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Wow, so your more friends then anything. Well when you start a relationship that is the way it should start first. I have not really heard any issues except the letting himself go, which I would not be surprised if he said the same about you.
    Expert

May 23, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Do you work? Ft/pt If you do, do you like it? Do you do anything outside the home together that you enjoy? A lot of questions I know and if I'm overstepping, or getting to personal, nip me in the bud. Just trying to get facts. I feel as though your very reserved, correct me if I'm wrong.

May 23, 2007, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Wow, so your more friends then anything. Well when you start a relationship that is the way it should start first. I have not really heard any issues except the letting himself go, which I would not be surprised if he said the same about you.
    It started as friends and we are more friends now than anything, yes. On the issues, I don't know what you want me to say. There are not any specific issues. It's been several things over the past 14 years. In a sense, we've grown apart some. And, no he couldn't say the same thing about me. I take care of myself. I weigh 2 lbs more than I did before children, I make sure my hair looks nice, and my makeup is done.

May 23, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Do you work? ft/pt If you do, do you like it?? Do you do anything outside the home together that you enjoy? A lot of questions I know and if I'm overstepping, or getting to personal, nip me in the bud. Just trying to get facts. I feel as though your very reserved, correct me if I'm wrong.
    I work full time. Not my dream job, but it's tolerable. Stressful though. With the kid's activities, we don't have time to do anything by ourselves (which I know is part of the problem). I don't really think I'm being reserved, I just don't really know what I can say. I have been trying to talk to him more, but it's like we have separate lives. He does his thing, I do mine, and then we meet up with children someone in the middle. If I want to know something, I have to ask him a specific question. When I ask a question or make a comment, he reads way more into it than needed... thinking maybe I'm mad or don't like the answer... I'm not really sure. I pretty much tell him everything and it drives me crazy that I have to drag stuff out of him. What affects him, affects me, and I don't think it's too much to ask to keep me informed.
    Uber Member

May 23, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Sorry to burst your bubble but it sounds like a normal relationship.
    Expert

May 23, 2007, 12:08 PM
    I take it that means no family vacations. What do you guys do fot fun? I mean all work and no play..? No hobbies..?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When to call it a quits? [ 2 Answers ]

MY BOY says that I'm number one in his heart. I feel that I am not. The most important females in his life are his sister and mother than me. When they want something from him he hope , skips, and jumps for them but when I want something I get excuses and I can't or hold on. He complains to me when...

Boiler quits at night [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2yr. Old Riello (bf5) burner on a Peerles cast iron hot h2o boiler in my home. Lately it quits at night (3 nights in a row). To fix I: Reset, then bleed line once pump starts. There is a small amount of air that comes out immediately, followed by steady stream. It will usually ignite...

How do you know when to call it quits? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my husband have been married for 5 years and over the past few years our communiction has become non existent. I have started going to therapy for it but if I suggest him going with me or reading a book that I am reading on how to fix a marriage, he just gets pissed off. He thinks he has no...

View more questions Search