Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilt1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Istanbul in the Cold War
    What part did Istanbul play in the cold war? Whose side were they on, and was it a significant place during the cold war?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 09:49 AM
    I'm not sure how to answer this . Istanbul is on the Bosphorus Strait which is a very strategic international waterway connecting the Black Sea ultimately to the Mediterranean sea. It also sits on the geographic border of Europe and Asia.

Turkey itself became a focal point in the Cold War arms race and was a front line nation in the containment policy.Truman invested heavily in preventing Greece and Turkey from Communism . Turkey became an active member of NATO.

The arms race came to a head in 1962's Cuban Missile Crisis . As part of the compromise to ease tensions JFK agreed that Turkey would not base a US nuclear deterrent in the country .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

War [ 5 Answers ]

There was a post about a marine that lost is life. A marine that committed suicide. I commented on about what a war can do to somebody mentally. I also commented on what I would do if I were him. All of a sudden it turned into somebody accusing me of dictating what others have to do. Which was...

New mains shower, reasonably new Combi-boiler, but hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold shower! [ 4 Answers ]

I've recently had a new bathroom put in, with a mains shower (used to be electric). But now my shower keeps running hot-cold-hot-cold every minute or so. My bath tap and sink tap in the bathroom are running fine, it's just the shower. I was told this shouldn't happen as I have a combi-boiler but...

What is the distance from istanbul to bursa [ 1 Answers ]

What is the distance from istanbul to bursa

Identify Song (istanbul something.. . ) [ 3 Answers ]

Somebody know this? ( "Istanbul" is the only intelligible word) http://www.geocities.com/lairofthelotus/melody.wav Thanks in advance!

War [ 7 Answers ]

I recently saw a bumper sticker that stated: "Why do we kill people to show that killing people is wrong?" While I am not a warmonger, I do see the need for it since so many of our world leaders do not have the same value system. How do I respond to "peaceniks" who can offer no viable alternative...

View more questions Search