Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MistyGurl Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

May 21, 2007, 04:24 AM
    Chest and Stomach
    So about 4 months ago I was having chest pains and so I went and had tests done and nothing was found but my doc said that I had most likey pulled a muscle in my chest so he gave me meds for that, well now 4 months later the pains are starting back up and move around. My mom had mentioned that she heard that carrying your weight in your stomach can pull down on your heart causing chest pains and an increased pulse rate which I also have, is this a true statement? And what are some good stomach excersises?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 21, 2007, 06:19 AM
    I am curious to know where in your chest the pains are, as the location is necessary to help pinpoint what could be wrong.

carrying your weight in your stomach can pull down on your heart causing chest pains and an increased pulse rate
    I don't know where your mother got this information, but if it were true, don't you think all the obese people in the world would have this problem? So, no, I don't think this statement has very much truth to it. Your heart is encased in the plerual cavity and is separated from your abdominal cavity by your diaphragm.

You say you have an increased pulse rate. What is your resting pulse rate? Also, your age is important when determining this as younger people typically have a faster pulse rate than older adults do.

As for good stomach exercises, crunches, sit-ups. But as far as carrying your weight in your stomach and pulling down on your heart, this is not true at all.

May 21, 2007, 06:35 AM
    My pains are in the upper chest and they move around from left to right and in the middle mainly on the left side though. I don't know where my mom got her info but it freaked me out when she said that! Yes I have increased pulse rate which I have also had tests for and nothing was found. But it can reach the over 90 sometimes.
    Expert

May 21, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Your age?

May 21, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Expert

May 21, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Is there a common pattern you see before the start of the pain? Such as exercising, eating, eating certain foods?

May 21, 2007, 07:11 AM
    I thought for sure that it was stress because I get stressed out a lot but this weekend we went camping and I was so relaxed but still had pains! I also have stomach problems a lot cramping, diarrhea, and pains but yet again that is another thing that I had tested and nothing was found.
    Expert

May 21, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Your stomach problems sound like IBS to me, but remember I am not a doctor.

Stress can very well cause these symptoms you are having, so can anxiety. Anxiety attacks can be very serious and cause the exact things you describe here.

May 21, 2007, 07:25 AM
    You the IBS which I thought I had was ruled out by the doctors, and anxiety attacks can they happen even if I am relaxed and say just laying down?
    Expert

May 21, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Anxiety attacks can come at any time or any place. If everything else has been ruled out by your doctor, this may be a possible cause.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Something wrong with chest [ 16 Answers ]

I'm 15 years old and suffer from asthma and have bad nerves which cause my breathing to be a bit strabge sometimes. However for the past two weeks when ever I breathe I have like a quite wheezing in my chest however I don't think it's a chest infection as I don't cough at all and I do eat a lot of...

Lump on chest [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I had sex with my partner 8 days back. She bit me on my upper chest (very close to the shoulder joint). Since then I have had a little lump in that part and the skin has turned yellowish and there are teeth marks as well. Since it has been that long I was getting a bit worried as to why the...

Red elipse shaped bumps on neck and chest and some on stomach [ 1 Answers ]

I have these red elipse shaped bumps on my neck, chest and stomach and I can't figure out what they are. . HELP.

About the chest [ 2 Answers ]

Is is true that when you lose weight you alos lose weight in your chest?? That is what I am trying to do... for most of the part I am trying to lose weight for me and then my chest.:confused:

Chest fat [ 3 Answers ]

I already asked this question below but couldn't find any good answers.my question is that I am 15 years old and I'm not fat.in fact I have a pretty nice body but have some fat around my chest area or "man titties".any exercises to lose the fat fast,I started to bench like 3 weeks ago but any...

View more questions Search