Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mia123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Hospital Debt
    I had made a arrangements in paying my hospital bill because I don't make that much money and at the time I didn't have insurance. The hospital agreed and I've been sending in my payment every month. I went to check my mail today and it looks like they gave my info to a collection agency in Washington state and they wrote me saying they will give me amnesty and reduce the debt. To begin with I don't have that kind of money that is why I'm making payments to them. But the hospital doesn't want to except my payment now they want me to send it this collection agency. If I keep sending my payment that I was sending the hospital can they still garnish me? Thank you for any help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 19, 2007, 01:31 PM
    I don't understand the problem, many hospitals do not have the staff to send out monthly statements and to collect and do billing on all for the people that owe them money, so if you can not pay the hospital in full, or the amount they want, they allow a collect agency to do the billing and collect the money for them. And it appears they even wrote off part of the total debt ( something you should always ask for before you even start making payments)

And who is saying anything about a garnish? It just sounds like they want you to send the collection agency the monthly payment instead of the hospital directly.

Unless they sold the account to the collection agency you could send the hospital the money BUT, if they sent your files to the collection agency and expect them to collect the money for them, it may confuse your account, since the collection agency will be showing you not paying and you will have to provide proof of your payment to the hosptial tothem, so you are not counted late.

1. contact the hosptial see if they sold the account or are just using them for collections.

2. ask the hosptial if you can continue to send them money.

3. and explain to all of us where the garnish came in, you did not say who said they were going to garnish anything, to garnish they have to sue you in court, get a judgemetn and so on.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 19, 2007, 02:42 PM
    I was in a very similar situation about five years ago. Owed a lot of money to a hospital. Had been paying them what I could afford. They threatened me with turning my account over to a collection agency. I went in to the hospital office bringing a witness with me and negotiated with them that I would pay a certain amount every month that was mutually agreeable. They agreed. But, nothing was in writing, though. I learned a lesson there. Always get it in writing.

Anyway, the hospital did end up turning me over to a collection agency. Even though I had been paying the amount per month that had been verbally agreed upon. I think that someone higher up other than the person with whom I had made the agreement must have decided to turn over my account.

I am still paying what I can on the bill every month. The collection thing hasn't been a bad experience at all. If I were to not pay at least something every month, I'm sure that there would be some sort of court action to follow.

My point is, that in my experience, being turned over to a collection agency by a hospital doesn't mean that your wages are going to be garnished or that any other action by the collection agency will be taken by them as long as you pay what you can every month.
    mia123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Thank you for the helpful information I was just worried about my bill going to collection and it they would still let me pay the same amount that I was paying to the hospital .
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 20, 2007, 09:05 AM
    I know our local hospital just has a policy, if you can't pay their debt in 3 months, they have a collection company that does their billing and collection for them.

The ER doctors are not even that nice, they turn it over if not paid in full in 30 days
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Apr 28, 2009, 01:56 PM

God bless Canada,we don't have to go threw this BS,every Canadian is covered for FREE :).Good luck
    queenbean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2010, 03:57 PM
    I have 2 hospital bills since 2004. One i pay to the hospital and the other to a collection agency. There is no difference. I lowered the amount i send the collection agency to 10.00 after they called a couple of years ago and were not so nice... they are glad to get what they can. I believe after 7 years the debt is cleared anyway... someone please correct me if i'm wrong. Also, i have an outstanding credit report.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2010, 04:01 PM
    Just so people know...

This is a very old thread that is now archived and not generally visible unless someone happens to visit this forum topic area.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Elderly Hospital Debt [ 1 Answers ]

My mother-in-law was diagnosed about 20 years ago as being bi-polar and was on medication to treat that. She was hospitalized in October 2006 for 5 months. She was in a physicatric hospital for awhile, a nursing home for awhile and then at Memorial Southwest. The doctors were trying to regulate...

Hospital Debt Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

I received a letter dated March 2005 regarding a debt I owe to a hospital. I have not lived at that resident since May 2005. I just received this letter March 2007, I called the collection agency to make payment arrangements. I was totally unaware of this debt in the amount of $250.00 I sent...

Collections Hospital Debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have a $22.351 hospital bill (no insurance) and I have a judgement against me. I live in New York. It was recently possed to me that I could get them (lawyers) to settle for half of this amount with payments made each month until it's gone. How realistic is this scenario? Would they really settle...

Daughter in hospital [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, Yesterday my 15 yr old daughter attempted suicide and thank God, was unsuccessful. My question is this... How do I talk to her or treat her when I go see her? I honestly can't say that would be before next week, as I just can't even consider going anywhere near the hospital yet. I'm...

View more questions Search