Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dylandog333 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Attachment of Bank Account
    I live in New York and tried to use my ATM card today but was denied for insufficient funds. Upon calling the bank, I found that a creditor had attached our bank account. My husband is retired and receiving his pension, SS disability, and VA disability. The SS check is directly deposited, but the pension and VA check is mailed to us and we deposit them. 98 % of the money in the bank is from these checks. What can we do ? This is all of our money for our bills and my husband is disabled. The bank even charged us a fee on top of holding all of our money. Thank You for any information you can give us.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 05:04 PM
    First who is the atachment from, who owes the money? To get an attachment to freeze your bank account there had to be a court case and someone got a judgement.

Where you notifed ( served) about a judgement, ** it may have been several years ago even.
    So you have to see who has the judgement, was it served properly.
    If not you can hire an attorney and ask for the judgment to be overturned because of improper service.

If the debt is a joint debt and the judgement is valid, there is little you can do. If the debt is just for one person, the other can file an injured spouse filing with the court to release their money from the bank, but you have to prove which money is whose

First you need to contact SS and stop that direct depost NOW, if it goes in, it will be taken also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account [ 4 Answers ]

Can I get a bank account after the bankruptcy has been granted?

Old Bank Account [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend is being audited by IRS. He needs to locate an old bank account that he had when married. Wife has moved out of state and he does not know how to locate her to find out name of bank in year2000. Is there a way to find out information maybe with your social security number.

Attachment of Bank Account [ 2 Answers ]

My bank account was attached and I received no notice from my bank. The basis for the attachment was a claim over 10m years old. What should I do? Can then bank do this? Can a creditor attach on a claim this old?

Bank Account Attachment [ 4 Answers ]

I recently had a judgment against me and got served a notice of Judgement. I have a bank account that is in myself and my boyfriends name. My question is: can they legally take money out of this account or freeze and take my boyfriends money that he deposits on there if we are not married? And if...

Attachment of bank accounts [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference in freeze vs attach a bank account? Under what conditions can this be done? Is there any fore warning when this is to be done? What are the ways to get around this saga?

View more questions Search