Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    never quite finished Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 03:37 PM
    leveling a concrete floor
    I have a 12' x 12' concrete floor that was poured a bag at a time and has about a 2" high spot. The floor was worked too much and is far from smooth. What is the best and easiest way to level this floor?

thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 19, 2007, 01:42 AM
    Hi, never quite finished! Have we met before? Because it seems like we might be related as I can really relate to your name!

I am going to give an answer to your question a try since I like to do a lot of handyman type stuff myself, but what you are asking is probably out of my league and someone else may come up with a better answer.

I would suggest renting, if they are rentable, and trying some sort of industrial grinder like what you would find on the following page.

Angle Grinder, Surface Grinder and Straight Grinder at TOOLFETCH
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 21, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Depending on how large the problem area is... the best solution (in my opinion) would be to cut out the high spot and re-pour new concrete.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 24, 2007, 03:27 PM
    There Is A Grinder That You Can Use To Smooth This Out, My Advise To You Is , If Possible Do What Is Called A Cold Pour, Basically You Resuface The Concrete With A 2" Slab. I Say 2" Just To Keep It From Cracking
    You Can Get A Different Type On Concrete That You Can Pour A lot Thinner, But In Your Case If You Can Go Up Another 2" That Be The Way To Go
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 24, 2007, 03:54 PM
    2" is a lot to try to grind and a cold pour needs to be 4" thick if you want 2" on the high spot. If you can take a 4" elevation change give it a try but how much do you think a new 12x12 pour will cost? Sometimes things are so screwed up you got to throw it out.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 24, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Where is the "problem" floor located in your house (garage, kitchen, bath, etc.)? I have a friend that has a concrete floor in his garage, that was in pretty bad shape. He cut out the real bad areas (and replaced them), patched the cracked section(s) and installed a very common brand/color/design of peel-and-stick vinyl floor tiles over the whole floor. Looks good, easy to repair/replace damaged or stained tiles and didn't cost very much. It was important to smooth the existing slab as much as possible though. Vinyl tiles will "telegraph" any texture or surface underneath it to the surface of the tile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leveling basement floor [ 9 Answers ]

I am currently fishing my basement. I just started last week, I am installing a bathroom, I just got done breaking up the concrete and installing the infloor pluming and reconcreting. My question is, I need to level the floor, the high spot is in the middle of the room, is dosen't slope towards a...

Leveling floor for laminate flooring [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a laminated wood floor. I first thought the floor was warped but I found out it was where the floor support were mouned to the fireplace for the floor joist. For some reason the support at the fireplace are <1/2" out of level. The floor has a slope until it reaches the first support...

Floor Tile, Concrete floor is sealed. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace carpet with tile on concrete floor but concrete is sealed with some coating. Do I have to prime this or remove sealant?

Create dam for Self Leveling Concrete [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm working on retiling my bathroom, and I need to pour self leveling concrete to level the floor. I realize that the floor only needs to be flat, but I also would like it to be level. I have expansion foam to go around the perimeter of the room, but there are some areas that I need to dam,...

How much floor leveling compound can I use? [ 6 Answers ]

My brother and I plan on putting down some laminate flooring but the existing sub floor very uneven. We are hoping to get out of replacing as much as we can and use some of that leveling material. So my question is how much is the max suggested? Is it 1/4" or ? Thanks for the help.

View more questions Search