Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Reverie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Collection Agency Summons in Texas
    I recently received a phone call from a collection agency in NY (Hoffman, Weinberg & O'Brien). The agent was incredibly rude and threatened to sue. The debt is roughly $2,300, although the original debt was only $800.

To explain, I married at 19 and my now ex-husband effectively destroyed my credit before I was 20. Many of the purchases he signed for without my knowledge.

The last time I was able to make any payment was in December of 2002. The bank sold the debt within just a few months. It has bounced from collection agency to collection agency and I have not been able to settle it. (I am just now at a point in life where I can pay my bills. I have no credit cards, no house, no car - in my name.) The phone number the agent left for me to return a phone call is invalid. I have received nothing in writing, only a heated phone call with the agent and a message on my cell phone several days later asking for a return phone call regarding a summons in my county (and an incorrect phone number might I reiterate.)

I really would like to avoid going to court over a fairly trivial debt. I am just totally at a loss for how to proceed. In Texas I know that my wages cannot be garnished. However, I am under the impression that they could freeze my accounts. This is a problem since I am self-employed and have no way of doing business without my bank accounts. (Ironically my accounts are with the same bank that the credit card was with-Wells Fargo.)

I am wondering if offering a settlement would help me to avoid a summons, but how much would be appropriate to offer (I cannot afford to offer the alleged full amount,) and to whom do I offer?

Any information or ideas on what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 03:52 AM
    Send them a Notice of Dispute for this alleged debt, have them validicate it, request the original contract you signed and an accounting of it.
    gizmopea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 12:29 PM
    I spoke to a lawyer in Houston last night regarding the same matter. In Texas, a judge usually will not issue a seizure on your bank account for a credit card debt. They save that stuff for drug related and bad people... Gizmopea

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency [ 7 Answers ]

I was contacted by a collection agency a few months ago about a debt for an emergency room visit. I told them I had not received any bills, and that I would try to apply for charity care. Two months later they called back. I told the woman I was speaking to that I would like a copy of the bill...

Summons from Collection Agency [ 6 Answers ]

Recently received summons from a collection agency that a lawsuit has been started against me. What is the best way to respond to the court. I am unemployed, have no income or savings. I have not been working due to illness and am waiting for judgement on disability. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Collection Agency [ 16 Answers ]

I am in Alberta, Canada and my question is: Can a collection agency legally come after you if the alleged amount owing has never been disclosed to you, neither orally or on paper by the person who put the account with the collection agency? I have never received a bill or invoice from this...

Collection Agency filed summons one month prior to SOL expiring [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out that Credigy and Associates filed a summons in kings county courts for an old debt that they purchased from another collection agency (not the original creditor). The SOL expired December 2000, however I just found out that they filed the summons in November 2006 (SOL is 6 years in...

Summons from Collection Agency [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons this weekend from a collection agency. It is for a credit card debt of $2,000. I was advised to appear in court 30 days from the date on the summons which is January 25, 2007. I had resumed payment of this credit card in December, when the summons was filed, after not...

View more questions Search