Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Good dog leash?
    Has anyone ever used a gentle leader for a large dog? I am having trouble with my dog pulling me when we walk even though we have the metal slip collar with the teeth, which we were told was good for controlling large dogs. Also he tends to want to jump out at things, rabbits, squrrels, balls, kids playing, while on walks and its hard to control. I was told the Gentle leader mimics the pack leaders bite to muzzle or something. I want to know if it works before I buy it.. my dog is around 90 lbs... :confused:
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 08:25 AM
    First of all let me begin by saying that choke chains, pinch collars are terrible they hurt and can seriously damage your dogs throat and neck. Also they associate pain with walking and with you... not good. I had terrier/ blue tick hound that acted the same way when we would walk.lol 1/2 the time I had a dislocated shoulder. The gentle leader did not work he was 1 1/2 when I tried it and he would spaz out and sctrach it off no... walking too upset. But I live close to a park and I have seen a few people use those successfully. I think the keys is to start when they are young or maybe your dog has a calmer personalitiy than mine did... also the store let me return mine. I bought a harness and let him wear it starting at 1/2 hr intervals. So as not to make him sore. And this worked perfectly. Until I hired a trainer, then a regular leash worked just fine. Just make sure the harness is tight enough so he doesn't slip out of it. Also if you can afford a reputable dog trainer then I suggest one... they can show you how to make him heel etc... if you don't want to go that route there are some really good books and also you can access the info for free on the computer. Good luck. Peaceful walking
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 08:33 AM
    I was told by a trainer that it was the other slip collars that were dangerous... hmmm...
    We tried a harness, but his chest is ginormous, and we have a hard time finding one to fit him. He is a Walker Foxhound. Thanks for the opinion though.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Gentle Leaders work very well with large dogs Alka. They are good for any sized dog. I have used them on dogs over 100 pounds. It has nothing to do with weight as much as the fit over the face and muzzle. It is a much better, and more humane, solution than any other method. I don't like those slip collars with the "teeth." I know some trainers recommend them. As bush wrote, it can damage the throat and neck. Dogs that pull just don't make the connection that they are choking themselves. If your dog is constantly pulling, I think the Gentle Leader is definitely the way to go. Get a large. That should work. Read the directions carefully. Some come with a CD that shows you the way to fit it properly and how to use it effectively. If you are using a trainer for your dog, he/she should be aware of these collars and should be able to help you if you experience any trouble.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 09:44 AM
    We aren't with a trainer any longer. He had one as a pupp and that worked well for us, but now that he is huge, he just pulls me around... we're talking 90 lbs versus 125... not a big difference... and he is much stronger than me... all that weight is up front. I think I will try the gentle leader, he has a long snout, so it shouldn't be a problem. Im tired of the sound he makes anyway when he is pulling so hard, and I want that ripping feeling in my arm to go away. :) thanks for your help. This is the reason I wanted a little dog to begin with... he was supposed to be a beagle... big surprise for me... but I love him just the same.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 09:49 AM
    LOL. We don't always know what we are getting when we rescue a pup. Big surprise to me when my chocolate lab mix started growing into a Pitbull. So, I did all my research and made sure she was trained properly. I can guarantee if you read through all the literature on the Gentle Leader and handle him the way they tell you to, you won't have any more problems with pulling. Just be consistent. :)
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Yes, I fully understand. I love him, he is a big baby and much more fun than a beagle would have been (and far less noisy) energy wise and all. I have been doing a lot of research once we learned what we thought his breed was. It took us a while and we talked to many professionals, one even told us he thought he could be purebred, but I doubt it, I see a little lab in him... but it is hard trying to adapt from knowing how to deal with a small/medium dog to learning how to tackle a large dog who is still growing... lol. I will go buy one today and see if we can't get this under control. I have a walk for the Kentucky Humane Society this weekend and it would be wonderful if I can have better control of him for that. It's a 5k walk so my shoulder would be pretty tired after a while... lol. Thanks for the advice!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 11:35 AM
    New ideas are slow to catch on in the dog training world. The Gentle leader and other head collars only go back to the 80's. Many trainers still insist on the prong collar, pinch collar with teeth. They may be safe if carefully fitted. The anecdotes about perforated aortas may be cases of poorly fitted ones. I really like Gentle Leaders even if the one on my Holly hasn't worked as well as with other dogs. I am not satisfied with how Holly leads, but the professional field trainer that evaluates her monthly, says she is doing great.

Since you posted to the Halti thread, I assume you read my post there.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 11:39 AM
    I did thanks... do you know what the difference is between the Halti and the gentle leader... the halti is cheaper... but they look the same.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Along with the Promise, they are like Fords and Chevies. May even be less arguments about which is best. I understand the Halti can be used as a muzzle. Count on the public thinking any head collar is a muzzle. I don't think buying either would be a mistake. Just concentrate on not giving the leash a snap as you need to with other training collars.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Oh so there is none of that pulling back business. I like that even better... I always hated that.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Sorry I couldn't get back sooner Alka. Either one is good. You are right, the Halti is cheaper. It works just as well as the Gentle Leader. I am not sure if the directions are as good as the Gentle Leader, but you can always go to both websites. I believe they give you pointers. And yes, you do not have to worry about him pulling your arms out of the socket anymore! LOL He may fuss initially but he will quickly realize it is useless to fight it. I think the 5K walk is a wonderful thing for you to do! It will be excellent exercise for both of you, it will be a great way to acclimate him to the new equipment, and you are doing something wonderful for your local Humane Society! Kudos to you! Let us know if you are having trouble with it prior to your walk. I want to make sure you feel the collar is fitted properly and he is responding to it appropriately before you take that long walk.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 05:36 AM
    I found a site yesterday that sounds promising. It is called softouchconcepts.com... they have a new type of harness. If the halti doesn't work out.good luck
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 06:19 AM
    I got the gentle leader and got it on him, it seems on right, feels tight, but they said that's correct in the video... he was hilarious at first, pawing at his nose and shaking his head, he didn't like this new contraption. But after about 10 minutes of pouting he soon forgot about it. I let him move around the house for some time without the leash on to let him get accustomed to the collar itself, and then after he stopped pawing and pouting I gave him a treat and put on the leash. He immediately got excited. I took him for a walk around the block and it was like a different dog. I didn't even have to work with him very much. He stayed right by me, and only every so often did I have to tighten the leash. I went to the park with him after dinner and he got excited at another dog and forgot about the collar, but quickly figured out how to play with it on. I love this thing. Yeah we do the walk every year. This is our 6th year. It is a great way to raise money for the people who gave us our pup. They do a lot for the community including offering low cost snip clinics where you can spay or neuter your pets for low charge or free. They also offer low cost microchipping, which is great.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Oh Alka! I am so glad that it appears to be resolving your problem. Yes, they do paw at it and fuss a bit, but realize there is nothing they can do. It sounds like you fit it properly. If you are consistent using it, he will just accept it with no fuss or problems. Enjoy your walk! :)
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Thanks! And thanks for the advice everyone!!
    Uber Member

May 18, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Holly has not reacted to the Gentle Leader like most dogs. Instead of getting excited when she sees you with the leash, she sits down and looks morose. Maybe they can't equal black Labs at that, but yellow Labs do a pretty good job of it. While you tidy up people stuff such as turning light offs , gathering up what else you are taking, etc. instead of bouncing around, running to the door, standing in front of you, etc. she just sits there looking morose.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 07:21 AM
    labman, there is nothing more heart wrenching than seeing that sad little face. But, we have to just stick to our guns. LOL. ;) Thankfully, my dog loves going for visits and will put up with anything as long as she gets to go for a ride and do her socializing thing. Going out and seeing people and other dogs is her all time favorite treat.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Mine too... he automatically goes to the car every time we go out, just assuming we are driving to the park.. lol.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Glad to hear your prob. Is solved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I train my dog to walk on a leash? [ 7 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. I am a new golden retriever owner. He is 18 weeks old. I have never owned a dog that was leash trained. I want to be able to walk my golden on his leash, but he won't budge! Any help would be appreciated.

Dog won't walk with me on leash [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a 4 month old puppy. She stubbornly sits and won't budge when I try to take her on walks. Anyone know how I can get her to stop doing it and l walk with me?

My dog sits instead of walking on leash [ 7 Answers ]

Help me please! I recently rescued a bulldog mix who is about 4-6 months old (the shelter wasn't sure). She is the most loving and sweet puppy who has shown to be a quick learner (sit is mastered! Fetch is working well in the house). The problem that we're experiencing is walking on the leash. ...

Leash training an old dog [ 2 Answers ]

We have taken in a dog that is about 8yrs old and I don't know how to train her to walk on a leash. When you put the leash on her and hold on to the end, she does not move. She acts scare of it. What do I do to teach her to walk on a leash.

Good dog book? [ 9 Answers ]

If I had to buy one very good dog book which should I buy? I would like one that could give me all the information I need from training to caring for the dog to well, everything.

View more questions Search