Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pankratz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Probation court case pending
    There is suppose to be a hearing on the east coast, about the validity
    Of probation on cases where probation is not mentioned in the charges.
    Is this case really in the court?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 11:25 AM
    I think the judge must follow the sentencing guidelines set forth in the state laws. However, a judge can include anything in the sentence he feels will benefit the defendant. Within reason. If there is such a case, it will be interesting to see the ruling. I have looked a little but I can't find anything on it.
    And then, next years revised statues will just include probation, if applicable, for every offense.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 11:36 AM
    First of course this could be bad for those on probation, since if probatoin was disallowed, they would end up having to serve the sentence, since probation is given instead of probation.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    first of course this could be bad for those on probation, since if probatoin was disallowed, they would end up having to serve the sentence, since probation is given instead of probation.
    Very good point. I was thinking Fr Chuck, whom ever started this litigation must have wanted to go to jail instead of getting to eat and sleep at home! A lot could be said about that but I'll leave it alone.;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Yes, I really have not followed the case ( nor could I find it,) but from working in the court, the person is actually sentenced to... years, but allowed probaton instead , thus if they violate the probation, they have to go in and serve the balance of sentence. ( ** or something in that idea)
    So if probation was declared invalid in cases where not speicificly noted as part of the sentence, then everyone on probatoin would be automatically delared to be locked up.** but of course that may be the idea, since prisons are fulll they couldnot lock them all up.

But with the current courts, even if ruled at state level the eastern federal courts would never accept it, and the Supreme court currently would not.
    They should have tried it in Califorina maybe
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pankratz
    There is suppose to be a hearing on the east coast, about the validity
    of probation on cases where probation is not mentioned in the charges.
    Is this case really in the court?
    Hello pan:

That's just another jailhouse rumor. In the first place, for it to have anything to do with you, it would have to be decided by the Supreme Court.

Plus, when someone is charged, they never mention any possible sentence in the charging documents. Indeed, what someone could be sentenced to has nothing to do with how one is charged.

excon
    pankratz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Pankratz here,
    I should have added that my offense was not drug related.
    I intend to go before a judge in 8 months to try to get off the
    3 years probation.
    There is no mention of any probation in the federal statutes.
    Since there is not anything about probation on my charges,
    Is it legal to have probation on any and all charges?
    I have a clean record, no violence, guns or drugs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pending lawsuit I might have a stroke [ 28 Answers ]

6.5 years ago an unsecured loan with a Credit Union in KY was charged off for 1780.00. I told them I simply couldn't pay it or installments due to a lay off and 7 months of unemployment. They charged it off and I NEVER EVER heard from them again. I've spent the past 6.5 years repairing my credit to...

Early termination of probation in federal court [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what my chances are of early termination in federal court from probation. I was given 2yrs probation for dealing a poker game. I have never been in trouble before. I have served 1yr.

What problems are there in taking a civil case to court? [ 3 Answers ]

What problems are there in taking a civil case to court? :confused:

H1B Visa Pending, want to travel. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I would be glad if someone could help me out here, about travelling abroad while my application for changing from F1 to H1 status is pending. If I travel abroad right now, my I94 card number is going to change, so will that require me to REFILE the H1 application again or I would be...

View more questions Search