Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    memnwn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2005, 12:41 PM
    Removable Hard Disk Chaos
    I have a removable hard disk (100GB) that I have been using for about a year now. It was 96% full last night but today I opened it and it wouldn't open. I have been sitting here for like an hour and it won't start, though my PC recognises it. Through some investigating I found that my disk is now 100% full! How could that happen??
    A friend told me that perhaps this happened because of the thumbnails of various pics I was going over last night, but it is essential for me to open it since my work of the last three months is there and I need it desperately.

Please please can anyone help me? It is essential to open that disk!
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Apr 26, 2005, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by memnwn
    I opened it and it wouldn't open. I have been sitting here for like an hour and it won't start, though my PC recognises it.
    Could you be a bit more specific? What does "it wouldn't open" mean?
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 27, 2005, 05:33 AM
    Hard Disc Chaos
    If your PC recognises the hard drive,why not delete a few files,and programs that you don't really use to get some space back,then defragment the drive,and reboot your PC.Dont just delete them from whatever your drive folder is called though.Use start,control panel,then Add and Remove programs from Windows.
    Don't forget to regularly check your hard drive for viruses,spyware,malware,and the usual Adware nonsense.Another good program for removing junk is Crap Cleaner.Its freeware,and can be obtained from this link http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191
    You will be amazed how much junk your PC stores even when you've simply been browsing the web.Also use that at the end of the day.

Just a footnote,when you say you opened it,but it would'nt open,do you mean you can't access any files,or will no programs work?
    Just see if you can get any of the advice I've given you above to work.If not,post back and let the forum know how your getting on.

All the best,
    Nez.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard disk problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hai, This is sandeep kumar. I am having problem with my hard disk which is seagate. Till day before yesterday it was working fine. But today it is not even detecting. I am in confusion what to do. I don't know what may be the problem in tha disk. So can you please suggest me what may be the...

100% CPU usage due to a new hard disk,please help me [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new hard disk in my notebook as my older one got a failure.There is windows xp professional in the new one.The dilemma is that it is taking too much time to get started,almost 15 minutes.And also,after getting started,my notebook is working very slowly.Task manager is showing 100% CPU...

Hard Disk - Bad Clusters [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All I was getting physical problem in my hard disk C: drive, on scanning I got 11 bad clusters , also it was mentioned that from now onwards these bad clusters will not be used for data storage . Now I want to upgrade to WIN XP from 98 , so please tell me what should I do for that, and...

Hard disk problem [ 6 Answers ]

My computer has two hard drives, they are both detected and accessible via device manager but the second hard drive does not show up as a separate drive in my computer i.e.. As drive /:E so I can not load data on to it. How can I get to show as a separate drive.

Windows 98 and 120 gig hard disk? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using Windows98se and want to get a 120 gig hard disk. Can anyone tell me what is the maximum size partition I can use with Windows 98se. I've heard that with large hard disks NTFS format is better/more effeicient. Is this so? And how much difference would it make. I'd rather not have to go to...

View more questions Search