Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MojoDoubt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Taxation in India for 2006-07
    Given below is my situation for 2006-07

April-06 to Oct-06 : India company payrolls
    Nov-06 till July-07 : Transferred from India payrolls to US parent company payrolls

Taxes
    -------

1. April-06 to Oct-06 : Taxes paid in India
    2. Nov-06 to Dec-06 : Taxes paid in the US. Completed tax amount refunded
    3. Jan-07 to Mar-07 : Taxes paid in the US. No refund received

I plan to stay in the US till end of July-07 (more than 182 days). I shall hence not receive complete refund of my taxes paid in the US.

How do I get tax credit for my taxes paid in the US, so that I could file my tax returns in India without getting into double taxation issues

Regards,

Nikhil
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 16, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Nikhil:

You will need to file a dual-status tax return for 2007. Under this return, you will be taxed only on income earned while in the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married in dec 2006, both opt->h1 from oct 2006, tax category? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, Me and my wife were both on F1->OPT till sep 2006. Both of us started our H1B From Oct 1,2006. We got married in Dec 2006. Now according to SPT both of us are non residents for tax purposes as days spent on F1->OPT are not counted towards SPT. But if we file jointly(which we should since we...

OPT from May 2006 to Jan 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

What type of Tax Form should I file? I am in the US under foreign student status, I filed 8843 for prior years. This year I had income and worked under my work authorization (OPT). What type of form should I fill this year? Thank you,

Double Taxation between USA and India [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident in India and I was a resident alien in USA previously for 6 years and have filed US taxes. Now I am in India, but earning Capital gains and interest income in USA. I am paying taxes in India for my golbal income. Do I have to pay taxes in US for the capital gain and...

Help Needed on US-India Taxation [ 2 Answers ]

I am new to US and on a L1-A visa and have to complete my tax formalities to start getting paid in USA after my transfer to USA This is my situation... I received a gross salary of approx 4,00,000 INR... 8000 USD (equivalent of Indian Rupees converted to USD) from January 2006 to June 2006...

Query on foreign-earned taxation India/US DTAA [ 4 Answers ]

I was employed in US by a US organization for 5 months from Aug'05 to Dec'05 on H1B visa. I had file US returns with IRS in the month of April '06 with filing status as 'Other Single Non-resident alien', as I did not satisfy the substantial presence test of 183 days in US. Now, while I am...

View more questions Search