Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wanjali13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Plumbing, water leaking from kitchen ceiling/wall
    I have water coming down from kitchen ceiling (under bathroom) and the outside wall has a soaked through patch clearly visible at the bathroom floor level. The insurer's plumber says the job requires a 'dig out' - what does this mean? I understand I have a 'lead' pipe under the bathtub that may be the problem. Is this all related? No-one is giving me any information, and the plumbers are not being very co-operative in treating this as an emergency even though he has seen the water coming down and my bulging kitchen ceiling (still waiting for action since SATURDAY and insurers don't allow my own plumbers to do work)! What does 'digging out' involve? Will I be left with structural damage? Please help, you are my last hope to learn what I am up against!

Many thanks.
    A Walker:confused:
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 01:43 PM
    I would First determine, Waste water, cold water or hot water?
    Is it during and after a shower?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 14, 2007, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wanjali13
    I have water coming down from kitchen ceiling (under bathroom) and the outside wall has a soaked through patch clearly visible at the bathroom floor level. The insurer's plumber says the job requires a 'dig out' - what does this mean? I understand I have a 'lead' pipe under the bathtub that may be the problem. Is this all related? No-one is giving me any information, and the plumbers are not being very co-operative in treating this as an emergency even though he has seen the water coming down and my bulging kitchen ceiling (still waiting for action since SATURDAY and insurers don't allow my own plumbers to do work)! What does 'digging out' involve? Will I be left with structural damage? Please help, you are my last hope to learn what I am up against!

Many thanks.
    A Walker:confused:
    "Digging out" could mean opening up the ceiling to locate the source of the leak but some tests should be done before you open up the ceiling. Let's start with the drain. Before you go to bed remove the strainer and put some wet rags in a baggie and stuff them down the drain to seal it off. Now run about a inch or so of water in the shower floor and let it set over night. Make a pencil mark at the water level. Next morning check the mark and your ceiling. Water level down? Ceiling wet? No? Then let the water out and check the ceiling again. Still no wet on the ceiling? If the ceiling stays the same then it's a pretty safe bet the shower drain,trap and drain line's OK and the ceiling won't have to be opened up.
    This places the leak in the tile grout. Tile grout shrinks over time and allows water to enter above and outside the shower pan where it will run past the pan and leak out onto the floor. To fix this note where the stream hits the tile when you're taking a shower and regrout the tiles in the area. Good luck Tom
    wanjali13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 03:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    "Digging out" could mean opening up the ceiling to locate the source of the leak but some tests should be done before you open up the ceiling. Let's start with the drain. Before you go to bed remove the strainer and put some wet rags in a baggie and stuff them down the drain to seal it off. Now run about a inch or so of water in the shower floor and let it set over night. Make a pencil mark at the water level. Next morning check the mark and your ceiling. Water level down? Ceiling wet? No? Then let the water out and check the ceiling again. Still no wet on the ceiling? If the ceiling stays the same then it's a pretty safe bet the shower drain,trap and drain line's OK and the ceiling won't have to be opened up.
    This places the leak in the tile grout. Tile grout shrinks over time and allows water to enter above and outside the shower pan where it will run past the pan and leak out onto the floor. To fix this note where the stream hits the tile when you're taking a shower and regrout the tiles in the area. Good luck Tom
    Many, many thanks, Tom! Very helpful. After a lot of shouting and yelling, I hope to get my 'dig 2 man team' out today, so at least I know what is happening. Maybe you can help with one more question that is worrying me - the outside wall where the leak is running down (the kitchen ceiling/wall with water running down in question has outside wall) is visibly wet and different colour. Is this serious water damage? It has been raining non-stop so the walls are wet anyway, but this part of the wall is very distinctly a different colour, looking very wet! Thanks again. Anjali

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower water leaking onto floor then through ceiling [ 8 Answers ]

I have a problem where shower water leaks under the shower curtain onto the floor (for example, when the kids or visitors take a shower) then works its way through the ceiling below. As far as I can tell, the water goes under the toilet base and finds its way through the floor by way of the hole...

Concrete cinderblock exterior wall leaking water [ 8 Answers ]

The drywall and baseboards in the inside exterior kitchen wall were rotting and wet. It is about 6-10 inches above ground level. We live in a concrtete cinderblock house in Florida. After removing the exterior stucco we found water oozing from what appears to be inside the conctrete. What could...

Water Leaking through the Shower Tile Wall [ 1 Answers ]

I take a shower and when the shower dry's I see some water leaking at the bottom where it comes through the wall into the shower at floor. After I saw that I went back and added more teflon tape for the shower faucets and new rubber and new monel seats. I still see a little water draining out the...

Water leaking into ceiling on 1st floor [ 5 Answers ]

Water sometimes drips from the bathroom upstairs into my dining on th 1st fl. What can I do? I already had the ceiling taken down, but we can't determine where its coming from. It only drips sometimes. (very strange) I'm just to tired of this problem and don't know what to do, the bathroom is...

Fix water leaking through tile on shower wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower where water is leaking through the tiles on the wall, leaving puddles on the floor. There are visibile gaps from where the tile shrunk along the lowest row of tiles right above the bathtub. Do I need to remove the tile and then recaulk, or simply recaulk where there are visible...

View more questions Search