Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    remodel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2005, 04:13 PM
    Just installed a new sink, faucet, and...
    Hi,

Can someone help? We just installed a new sink and faucet. We had to replace some of the pvc pipes to fit the new sink. The pipe fitting went well, but the sink drain is leaking from the gasket underneath. It is also leaking where the sink drain pipe leads into the pvc trap. Everything seems to fitting right, no leaks from the rest of the plumbing. Wondering if the drain pipe is too far down into pvc trap? Help!! :eek:

Thanks,
    remodel
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2005, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by remodel
    Hi,

Can someone help? We just installed a new sink and faucet. We had to replace some of the pvc pipes to fit the new sink. The pipe fitting went well, but the sink drain is leaking from the gasket underneath. It is also leaking where the sink drain pipe leads into the pvc trap. Everything seems to fitting right, no leaks from the rest of the plumbing. Wondering if the drain pipe is too far down into pvc trap? Help!!! :eek:

Thanks,
    remodel
    When you installed the drains on your kitchen sink did you place a rope of plumbers putty or silicon gel under the lip of the drain? The rubber washer goes underneath the sink not under the lip of the drain.
    The connection between the tailpiece and the trap is a compression fitting. Tighten up the compression nut and I'll bet the leak stops. Your tail piece,(drain pipe) is OK as long as it's inside the trap, how far inside doesn't matter. Cheers, Tom
    remodel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2005, 07:11 AM
    Leaky drain pipe
    Hi speedball1,

Thanks for the reply. I did not put putty or silcon under lip of drain. It screws on to drain pipe, should I put some there anyway. Also, gasket is under sink not under lip of drain, no washer there however. I am thinking I will take the old one of old sink drain. I also noticed that there is no washer to compression nut and it is hard to tighten. I am going to take out sink drain and see what I can do.

Thanks,
    remodel
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2005, 09:33 AM
    Sink drain
    Quote Originally Posted by remodel
    Hi speedball1,

Thanks for the reply. I did not put putty or silcon under lip of drain. It screws on to drain pipe, should I put some there anyway. Also, gasket is under sink not under lip of drain, no washer there however. I am thinking I will take the old one of old sink drain. I also noticed that there is no washer to compression nut and it is hard to tighten. I am going to take out sink drain and see what I can do.

Thanks,
    remodel
    You must put a rope of putty or silcon gel under the lip as a seal, if you don't it will leak. It assembles like this;
    ** Threaded drain with a small rope of plumbers putty or silicon jel under the lip of the drain.**
    ** sink**
    Bottom of the sink.
    ** neoprene, (rubber) gasket**
    **fiber friction washer**
    ** Retaining nut**
    ** stub up from trap**
    There should be a 1 1/2" compression washer. Get one from a plumbing shop or a hardware store.
    Do these and my bet is that the leaks will disappear. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Sink Faucet No Hot Water Pressure [ 4 Answers ]

I have one of the Kitchen Faucets that is also the spray, all in one unit. When the cold water is turned on, the pressure is great, nice and cold. When the handle is turned to Hot, there is barely any pressure and the hot water never comes. I also have a dual sink in the master bedroom and one...

New sink faucet but water won't come out [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a new sink, facuet and supply water lines. When I turned on the water for first time water came out for a few seconds then stopped. I diconnected the water lines from the faucet and the water comes out fine but when I hook them back up to the faucet no water will come out. Any...

Kitchen Sink faucet - odd nut [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new at this so figure I'll just jump right in and be ignorant... We have a kitchen sink faucet (American Standard I think) that seems to have a retaining nut under it that defies logic. I've replaced the faucet, drain, etc in the bathrooms and it was nothing like this. This kitchen...

Laundry sink faucet has low pressure [ 2 Answers ]

If someone can help me, it would be great. My laundry room sink water pressure is very low. It wasn't like that originally. I checked to see if the aerator was clogged but actually there was none. The water pressure used to be very strong. One day it just became very low. No other water...

Bathroom  faucet/sink [ 1 Answers ]

;D How to install a bathroom faucet and sink And shower faucets?

View more questions Search