Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jebleu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2005, 08:22 AM
    Folder and file encryption on server
    As a consulting manager I have to manage teams of 20 or more people. As we work on the client site, we only have access to the servers of the client.

We create folders on the servers client to keep all of our documentation and be able to share it within the team.
    In this documentation, some of the files are only for the team.

I am looking for a tool (product or software) or a way to encrypt these files and folders and only allow people of the team to read or update these files (like a encrypted vault) with :
    - administrator of the server not be able to access the content of the folders and files.
    - not preventing the server procedures of the client to be working (i.e. backup procedures).
    - forcing the team to do encrypt and decrypt each time they access a file (encryption on the fly).
    - allow multiuser access on the encrypted folder (vault). This imply that the folder can not be locked because of one person consulting it.

Any suggestion of a product or any other solution to realise this.

Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 23, 2005, 08:33 PM
    Frankly, if anyone, consultant or otherwise, try to create a folder on my network that was totally blocked, they wouldn't be a consultant for very long. The network admins NEED access to every folder.

That being said, if you can convince the network people of your needs, then they should be able to create a folder that prevents access to anyone but your team and that includes the domain admins group.

Another option would be to use password protected Zip files.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 25, 2005, 03:23 PM
    I agree with Scott, being a sysadmin myself, there is no way in hell that I would allow ANYONE to use file encryption on my servers that I couldn't administer, especially non-employees!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to upgrade my file server [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I started to night on my upgrade project buying a gigabit ethernet card for the G4 500 Sawtooth. I now need a 10/100/1000 hub or switch and a further card to let the G3 used as a file server speedup a bit. The G3 is only 350mghz. Is it fast enough to take a gigabit card? Or would I be...

Disc space on file server [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to monitor disc space usage on a file server, do you know any system that can measure the level of space usage and keep track the warning level of space usage? I want a minotor system that can alert users on the server about their disc space and how to maintain them. Thank you for your...

Wants to move the file server... [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I've a domain controller which is running different servers, one of them is the file server. Now I want to make the file server runs on another computer dedicated for this purpose only in order to reduce the load on the computer which playing the role as DC. How can I do this ? ...

Encryption of passwords [ 14 Answers ]

Hi guys, Hello every one I was wondering if the passwords we enter Yahoo messenger or Yahoo mail are straight away encrypted because when I was trying to sniff my networks traffic 4 passwords I was hardly able to make out something and also I would like to suggest me some nice...

View more questions Search