Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Julius_C Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2005, 02:46 AM
    Growing Okra ?
    Hello,

I live in southeast England and a have obtained some Okra seeds.

I have read some research from the internet about this plant - but what I need to know is are these plants climbers? Do they need to grow with support from cane sticks?

Many thanks
    Juls
    conservative85 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2005, 05:28 PM
    Okra
    I have grown okra in the past and the plant is a stalk type plant similar to corn, and the longer you let the okra hang on the plant the tougher it gets and stringy like celery
    Ramblinrose5256 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2005, 06:40 PM
    Growing orka
    Dear Julius,
    I live in Texas U.S.A... Conservative85 is right. Good Luck I love Orka too! Rose :)
    Scargod Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 17, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Okra is a member of the cotton family and has a strong, tough, fibrous stalk. It needs NO support!
    It is a warm climate plant so it will grow less vigioursly in cooler climates. I have had decent results in southern Connecticut. Partial shade to full sun. Full sun is best.
    Depending on the variety it can grow so tall you will have to bend it over to pick the okra. There are shorter varieties like cajun jewel and burgundy which turn green when cooked.
    Pick okra pods while still young and two to four inches long. Keeping the pods picked will increase productivity of the plant.
    Try steaming it lightly and serving with butter rather than boiling it to mush. Larger pods can chopped up and used in gumbo. The key to toughness is whether it is easy enough to chop up... when raw.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beard not growing anymore? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi... Lately, I've been having a small problem with my beard area. I'm 24 years old and I shave my face every 2 days 'cause it doesn't grow that much. The problem I'm having lately is that there's a patch under my chin where beard used to grow but doesn't anymore. It looks ugly when I have a...

Growing Ivy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 30ft X 8ft wire fence at the bottom of my garden which I wish to cover in climbing plants, IVY has been suggested. Can you suggest an IVY that will grow at the speed of light and cover my fence and which is hardy, also how many would I need to plant and how far apart for the fence to be...

Growing the new land [ 2 Answers ]

Dear I have a land and I want to plant it. I would like to gudie me through these question 1- what is the best kind of vegetables or fruites can I do? 2- what is the cost ? 3- which kind of vegetables or fruites that will give a huge quantity ? Thanks for helping

Growing grass in clay [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently an art student at manchester metropolitan university in the u.k and my project is growing grass. I have recently heard of a technique that has been used by other artists were clay and grass are put together and then plastered onto an object and the grass grows through the clay. I...

Growing Ivy [ 1 Answers ]

We have a large hill covered with ivy and want to make it look as good as possible. Is there an easy way to keep weeds out? Also, should I ever fertilize ivy? Thanks.. Brian??

View more questions Search