Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jomag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Craftsman DRM 500 Murray riding lawn mower
    My father in law just bought a Murray DRM500 riding lawn mower, sorry but I'm not sure of the model as yet but I think it's a 502-255290. It sounds good, runs great as long as it's in REVERSE. That's the problem, it will not go FORWARD. He thinks it's a cable problem, but no one knows anything about these mowers, (looks like a little red beetle, and the lady at Sears, said she remembered selling these, but couldn't help us). Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

May 16, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Is this a hydrostatic transaxle?

Morrowrj
    lewis2484 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Sounds like the cable. I just got one from my father-in-law and I had the same problem. The transmission uses a push-pull 2 cable system. I took the steering column apart and removed the broken cable. Since I did not get the manual with the mower I searched online for days before finding a site with a part I hope I can use. (www.buymtdonline.com). I ordered a cable and it should arrive this week. I'll post again if it works and list the part number. If it works I might order another cable or two to have on hand since this seems to be a problem and it takes less than an hour to change out.
    lewis2484 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 10:23 AM
    OK, new trans cable came today and I wish I had ordered 2. It works great, an exact match. If you go to the web site above and search for part number (746-0935A) this should bring up the cable. Like I said, I would order two and just replace both. Make sure you verify that one of the cables is broken first. Take apart the steering column and see if one of the "Z" ends on the cable has slipped out of the hole it is supposed to be in, that's a good sign that the other cable isn't pulling while the other is pushing. I just ordered a second one so I can replace the other one. Good luck, hope this helped.
    BCrea02370 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jomag
    My father in law just bought a Murray DRM500 riding lawn mower, sorry but I'm not sure of the model as yet but I think it's a 502-255290. It sounds good, runs great as long as it's in REVERSE. That's the problem, it will not go FORWARD. He thinks it's a cable problem, but no one knows anything about these mowers, (looks like a little red beetle, and the lady at Sears, said she remembered selling these, but couldn't help us). Does anyone have any suggestions?

That happen to me today and yes it it a broken shift cable. Good luck replacing it.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 07:11 PM
    The only problem is going to be locating parts for a murray now.
    retiredArky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2010, 03:43 PM
    The cables can be found at mower repair shops if you have one in your location. Take your cable(s) with you and they can match it(them)to a generic cable. I have replaced mine twice and now I put liquid silicone into the outer cable sheath two or three times a season using a small diabetic syringe. It works very well because the silicone displaces any moisture that gets in before it can jam up the works.
    When adjusting the cables, make sure there is almost NO slack in them at the bell crank. Also, my mower was not set for 3600 rpm engine speed - adjusting it to let the B & S motor achieve this speed makes the mulching work much better.
    Torpad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2011, 01:13 PM
    I have this very same problem, but how do get I get it off from the back? The steering column was no problem, but the back I'm not sure of and don't want to break anything.
    esong2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2012, 02:39 PM
    You can download the manual here: http://www.hammerwall.com/Download_Manual/8193/
    Put in the code they give you and then on the next screen click on the "Download Manual" phrase to get it.
    By the way, the DRM 500 is also called model 247.27022

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My tractor quit on me during my grass cutting. I have not been able to get it started. I've Changed the air filters, a new spark plug, a new solenoid, a new fuel filter, a new battery. When I put it on choke and try to start it, the engine turns but won't start. After that,all I hear is the...

Solenoid trouble for murray riding lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a murray riding lawn mower and for some reason the solenoid keeps going bad. I maybe get one or two mowing jobs done before I have to replace it. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks Kim

Wires on murray riding lawn mower. [ 3 Answers ]

My dog pulled wires loose on our mower. I don't have the instruction booklet to put them back correctly. Please help!

Craftsman 14.5 hp riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

I bought it used it seemed OK,but now I have loss of power.I NOW have a brand new battery.What can I do to the engine or carburator to fix problem?How do I properly adjust carb?Should I overhaul the engine?I haven't found a rebuild kit for my B&S engine(14.5) Any help would be great.Somone told me...

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower Warranty [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to purchase a Craftsman 4000 Riding Lawn Mower, and am wondering if it is worth the money to purchase the 3 year extended warranty? Can anyone advise?

View more questions Search