Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 12, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Is political correctness what it used to be?
    Have we outgrown political correctness, or is it still with us?

I get confusing readings from the media on this one.

I remember that once upon a time, political correctness was being promoted because many people believe that removing hate speech from public dialogues woud keep the hate from spreading. This is true for some cases, but could never be true in other cases.

Today, it seems that political correctness is now a pejorative term in mosts contexts, but it still exists. Today, it seems to represent CYA, and not a sincere inner change that would make a person become a better person.

For example it is not PC to talk about the war without offending someone. Even if you are not offensive in your tone, it seems that those of us who are pro peace are bashed by pro war in the media as being UnAmerican. This is not a lamentation. This is an example. Is PC relevant anymore?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 08:15 AM
    PC is a catch all word that has no true meaning, it is an excuse for those that wish to promote their beleifs to ban or make some feel it is wrong to discuss some subjects.

But then also PC is a moral line of a community, in which one knows or should know what is proper to discuss.

Such as this site, it has its own PC based on rules and regulatoins of the site that all agree to when they become members here,
    Beyond that, each has their own ideas of what is correct speech and what is not,
    gogosean Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

May 12, 2007, 08:30 AM
    I agree with everything you say about this one. I was just asking because some of us are of the opinion that we should work to change peoples hearts and minds before changing whatever PC claims to control. Of course, those of us who are poor communicators do not contribute to the dialogue. I have some room for self improvement in that area.

None the less, that is why some people prefer to be assertive rather than let intolerance just mingle around the crowds. PC seems to be highly correlated with self interest, rather than for the good of others.

As far as PC having no true meaning, I would agree. It is a subjective term that has little hope for membership in the world of the things we call objective. It is socially constructed. The meaning it is given is only self serving.

I was just curious to see if anyone else felt that it is time to go beyond it and try something new.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 12, 2007, 11:56 AM
    What do you propose to replace PC? Honesty? That would be refreshing.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2007, 05:52 PM
    I believe PC has now evolved into a way for people to either avoid being sued or to do the suing, depending on which side you are on.

I don't think "replacing" PC is something that can be accomplished. You need to wipe out the original need for it. I think that educating people is the way to do it. Specifically focusing the education on the young before they have had a chance to be permanently "spoiled" (meaning damaged I guess) by their parents or whatever influences their behavior toward others. Children do repeat what their parents teach them and grow into adults that will continue that cycle. So if we can properly teach this in the schools, there is a chance that over time, the "misinformation" will be minimized. Instead of teaching Sociology or World Religions as college courses, they should be middle school/junior high school courses. If we logically explain what racism, intolerance, prejudice... means. Give them examples of what they may hear. Explain why it is wrong. Answer all questions calmly and openly, with factually based information. I don't think just simply being assertive is the way to go. You can use positive assertion, meaning, being assertive that is free of anger and damaging remarks. Calm, rational, logical explanation and not allowing people to bait you into getting illogical, irrational or angry. Outreasoning your opponent with simple, calm logic and fact, along with not backing down. Just stomping your foot and trying to prove a point by using the same tactics others use, won't get the job done. You have to avoid any types of personal attacks or else people will turn a deaf ear. Personally attacking someone just serves to reinforce their misguided beliefs. They will dismiss you.

I can explain it best by using my work with rescue operations as an example. Where I live, dogs and cats are considered property by most people, and therefore, are disposable. When I speak to adults who have this view, most of them, no matter what I say, no matter how rational and logical I am, they don't get that dumping a cat or dog on the side of the road is not acceptable. Most simply don't understand or don't want to hear it, when I explain the ramifications of using an animal to breed simply to earn a few dollars. This is the value system that they have been taught by their own parents. I get blank stares. I can quote facts and statistics regarding health problems and their buyers dumping the puppies or kittens that they are selling, when the animal reaches maturity. I am calm and rational. It doesn't matter. Most have closed minds. Athough, every once in a while, my message does get through. Through calm determination.

However, if I go into a school with some animals, and lecture about breeding, the health hazards, the dumping issues, the fact that there are 10,000,000 animals a year throughout the U.S. that are being euthanized in shelters due to lack of space because people breed irresponsibly, quote facts, quote statistics, I can see the light bulb going on in the minds of those children by the looks on their faces. I have made the impact that I intended to make through reasoning and logic. If I am consistent in teaching, there will be a certain number of children who will grow up and change the pattern of ignorance to the situation. Keep doing that, over the course of time, as each generation grows into adults, eventually the majority of the population will be following the responsible practice of spaying and neutering your pets, of not purchasing animals from backyard breeders and puppy mills. It won't completely eradicate the problem, but it will contain it and make it manageable.

So, Sean, if you have posted this question specifically to make a point about this web site, you really can be heard and make a difference here, if you are willing to try a different approach than you have been taking. You will be a lot more effective if you can differentiate between the children's and the adults posting. When you recognize it is a child or teen, it is a perfect opportunity for you to educate them on what they may have posted that is factually incorrect. Kindness, compassion, logic, citing facts, and dogged patience, really does get through to the kids that are really looking for help. Sometimes we get lucky and it gets through to the adults as well. None of us are perfect. We all have our off days here and do a less than effective job. But, there is always another day to attempt to correct it. If you have any questions about how this site works, you can PM me. I am always willing to help. :)
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 16, 2007, 09:23 AM
    PC serves as counterweight to the unethical irresponsible use of free speech.
    If so much trash is being publicly pronounced now, imagine if there were no official political-correctnes guidelines. The media would become a no holds barred manure slinging pandemonium where every irate, biased individual would have a field day propagating his own particular biased views simply because he needs to blow off some steam and can get away with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

American political parties [ 15 Answers ]

Are there any other active political parties in the United States besides the Republicans and the Democrats? What I mean by active is, do they hold any seats in congress, or other areas of government? If not, why are there only 2 political parties? In Canada, right now we have 5 parties who occupy...

Ignorant Anthropologists? Or Political Correctness? [ 15 Answers ]

I have great respect for the science of anthropology but recently I came across two representations which made me question both motives and the qualifications of those anthropologists who were involved. First, there was a documentary concerning the Taino Indians of the Caribbean. I began watching...

Political parties [ 3 Answers ]

How do political parties influence the selection of canidates running for election at the state and local level?

Political limericks [ 9 Answers ]

Join in if you can do one better. All for Poo and giggles... This was written by imo at japantoday forum at limericks R us. There once was a president named bush Who flew by the seat of his tush About his vision, when queried He said, I have a great theory

Political correctness [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am curious as to why in this day and age when every word uttered publicly must be politically correct, (e.g. mailperson as opposed to mailman, and firefighter vis-à-vis fireman) first year college students are still called freshmen, as opposed to freshstudents, or freshpeople. Mark

View more questions Search