Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cayla99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 02:26 PM
    3 year old son totally out of control
    I am a stay at home mom with a big problem. I have two grown children that I never had this problem with. My three year old is out of control, and I have tried everything. He will not listen to me. He runs away from me in public places. More than once he has gotten away from me and gone into a street or parking lot. I was in an accident about 5 years ago and have lost 75% of the use of my hands, he has figured out that a simple twist and he can break free. He fights me when I try to put him in a cart at the stores, but will not stay with me if I let him walk. He has destroyed a lot of things in our house. When we discipline him, he just looks at us and laughs. We have tried everything from time outs to spankings and nothing phases him. I know he can behave. He behaves for my best friend when she watches him, but he won't for me or his father. Any suggestions before he gets hit by a car or someone snatches him in a store? I am 50 years old, and he runs faster than I can, I just can't keep up and it is killing me.
    quaint11 Posts: 55, Reputation: 6

May 11, 2007, 03:04 PM
    Buy that boy a leash!. And train him to it.

It sounds harsh but a toddler leash is a viable means for parents who find they need them. I would highly recommend one for your son considering you have lost ability in your hands. This would greatly increase your son's safety and reduce your stress levels.

In this case, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

To train a child to hold your hand or to a leash, begin by holding their hand or placement of the leash. This act will signal what is expected to the child.

Start by walking around the room, in the yard, or on a sidewalk. This is practicing.

When they resist [and most will!] you have to demonstrate who the boss is. When I use this technique with my 2 year old, because he would often run away or try to sit down every time. I would hold his hand firmly gently pulling up, and also his elbow with my other hand, creating a pulling effect on his arm while leading him around.

His mind is dealing with what is going on with his hand, while his feet and body go on auto pilot. In a sense, you trick them into the behaviour, and by repeating this [and offering a reward, if needed], you will program your child's behaviour. Thus, when in public, he will operate like he has practiced. It is the same thinking behind practicing an instrument, "you play like you practice".

In the leash scenario, walk him around allowing him to lead at first. Then begin to direct his travel. Should he resist, just stand there and allow him to throw a fit until he's done and begin again. The idea is he will tire himself out and eventually submit willingly. When he does, reward him accordingly.

Requires a lot of patience, but worth the effort in the end.

One of my philosophies with people in general: Reward the behaviour you want to see repeated and gently correct and pay little attention to behavours you dislike.

Best Wishes!
    quaint11 Posts: 55, Reputation: 6

May 11, 2007, 03:10 PM
    A few more words on this: Consistency is a vital ingredient to obedient children.

I have a friend with the same issue, and what it amounts to for her, is the children don't respect her [for an assortment of reasons]. However, as she has begun to exercise more consistency in their lives, from their daily routines, to bedtime routines, eating habits, etc.-she has seen an increase in her children's appetite to want to please and obey her.

The more stability and order in a child's life, the easier it is for the child to know what is expected of them.

Hang in there!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my 16 year old son so mean to me? [ 12 Answers ]

I am just devastated by the way my son treats me. Tonight he called me a ho and tells me every day that I am worthless. I have been here for him while his father, my ex husband went years without seeing him at all. I have helped him so much and tried so hard to give him a decent life. I am off...

Need help with my 12 year old son [ 11 Answers ]

I am having a hard time with my son he is 12 years old and he is into a lot of trouble all the time. At school he is a bully and pushed the school to the point of sending him to the courts as an unruly kid if there is one more incident! I know he needs help and I want to get him help but I am on...

My 16 year old son seems to have given up [ 19 Answers ]

I am a 41 year old widow who lost her husband 7 months ago... my son is 16.. he is not dealing with it well.. doesnt want to go to school anymore.. wont seek help.. doesnt see his friends anymore.. stays in his room... I don't know what to do.. I have tried everything! Can someone give me some...

My 21 year old son is out of control [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know the laws in Maryland about having someone committed. My son is drinking a lot and keeps trying to hurt himself and anyone around him. Last night he grabbed the steering wheel of someone who had went to pick him up (they were doing about 70 mph), when that did not work he tried to...

13 year old son [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I feel like we have gotten caught up in the new way of parenting teens. However, we want to go back and raise his son with the same values as we were both raised. We just don't want to go overboard and be too strict. Should a 13 year old be allowed to go to the movies, rodeo,...

View more questions Search