Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicoletarusu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 02:51 AM
    Amount of food
    Good morning. I have a baby 6 months old, I want to start with solids but I do not know how much and what to give. I gave 1 banana in the morning. Is it too much?

Nicole
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2007, 02:54 AM
    All food is good food there are no strict guidelines anywhere its all trial and error there will be days when all they want is milk and other days when they eat you out of house and home just remember lots new tastes to try but steer clear of really powerful tastes like brocolli at first they will eat as much as they want you will know when they have had enough they spit it back at you.
    Enjoy it this is an amazing time you can't get it back.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 11, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Another trick is only introduce one new food a week. This way, if the child were to have any food allergies, you will be able to know which food it is.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2007, 03:06 PM
    I happen to have a infant feeding guideline and I will share with you what it says.

At 6 months they should have 4 tablespoons of infant cereal and 4 tablespoons of strained fruit for breakfast.
    Lunch - 4 tbsp of strained fruit & 4 tbsp of strained veggies
    Dinner - the same as lunch.

That is with the 3 to 5 feedings of formula per day.

You want to make sure you give 4 or 5 days before introducing anything new - so you can see what allergies, if any, they might have.

My dr. recommended introducing veggies first because they maybe harder to get down after they have tried the sweet fruits.

Hope this helps.
    Expert

May 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Just remember to NEVER under ANY circumstances give a child under the age of one year honey. NEVER!!
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Or strawberries. And wait until they are 8 months old for citrus fruits (according to my chart :) )
    Expert

May 13, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Strawberries? Because of the high incidence of allergies?
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Yes, there is a higher rate of allergic reaction to strawberries and oranges.
    Expert

May 13, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Very interesting, thanks!
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 04:51 AM
    Luckily I keep everything - these are the charts I was given when my daughter started eating solids. I have a whole notebook. I charted everything that she ate. She is now 6 years old. I am glad I have it, because now I can look back and read about her reaction to peas. *She gaged on those* :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

Wet dog food and dry dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should be giving a balance of wet dog food and dry dog food each week and not just dry dog food all the time. He told me that too much dry food can cause constipation. Is this true? Also, which brands are considered low grade dog food?

Vested amount [ 1 Answers ]

Friends, just need some clarification on some financial speak. What is vested amount in reference to a balance on a 401K statement? Thanks?

View more questions Search