Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thad Murrah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Phone/Router Frequencies Conflict
    I use cordless telephones and a Netgear wireless router at home. Whenever someone picks up the cordless phone it knocks out my wireless connection. The phones are 2.4 ghz. As I understand it the router is also 2.4 ghz. Any way to configure a different frequency? Solve the problem another way?

Thanks for your help.

Thad
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 9, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Change the channel that your router broadcasts on.
    The default is normally 6 try going to 11 or 12
    Thad Murrah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Thanks. Actually tried that. It was set to chan 11, changed it to chan 1. Still have the same issue. Question, can the frequence be changed without replacing the router and the adapter on my laptop?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 9, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Wireless operates on 2.4 Ghz (802.11) the channel changes are small steps around this freq, so no you can't change the freq at all.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

May 9, 2007, 01:15 PM
    The technology you want to research is FHSS or here. Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum.

This is how mulitple 2.4GHz devices can co-exist peacefully.

You might try to unplug the cordless phone base, for 5 minutes or so, so that the router has went through several hopping patterns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

Setting up DSL with router and Cisco IP phone? [ 9 Answers ]

Okay, I need help. I currently have DSL at my house but now my boss is sending home a router and a Cisco IP phone and I am not sure how to hook it up. They tried to explain but I do better with graphs or detailed explanations as to what specific wire goes to what jack. Can anyone help me? Here...

Cell phone frequencies in the US [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have two cell phones, both of them are the Nokia 3390. One is an att/cellular phone, which broke (but the reception was really poor), and the other, new one is for t-mobile. I understand that these two phones are probably on different frequencies. After a little research, I found that...

Cell phone call frequencies [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, How does a cellphone know on what frequencies to transmit a call? Does it have a fixed range of frequencies allocated to it? How does a cellphone know that a call is being transmitted to it? Does the call being transmitted have any encoding for the receiver to recognize that the call is...

View more questions Search