Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melinSD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Maytag gas dryer, replacing gas valve coils
    Hi, I hope someone can help me.

My Maytag gas dryer's igniter glows but then no flame appears. I believe it is the gas valve coils that are bad, so I purchased a replacement kit (3 coils). The instructions say to match the colors of the wires, but my replacement kit has red, black, white while the original has blue, black and white. But, in addition to different colors, the colors that are the same are in opposite locations on the new coils.

For example, on the original of one of the coils, there was a white wire coming from R side and blue wire on L. On the new coil that matched, the white wire was on the L and there was a black wire on the R. So, even though both had a white wire, the white wire was on the R side on original but L side on replacement of same coil.

I assume that in my case I should just ignore the colors of the wires and splice the new coils to the old wires based on the orientation of the wires on the part. That is, I should splice the old left wire to the new left wire and the old right wire to the new right wire, no matter what the colors are. Is that correct? I've done all that and put it all back together so it should be ready to put back in the dryer. I wanted to make sure what I did was right before putting it back in lest something get damaged.

Thank you,
    Melissa
    jsellers Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 03:49 PM
    As long as you put the same two wires from the old coil to the new one you will be fine. The polarity to the coils is not an issue. In fact you could switch the wires around and the coil would operate normally. The main thing is to make sure the same two wire you took off your old coil goes back to your new coil. Whichever side is fine. The coils will then operate normally. There are a couple of ways to check the coil to insure proper operation. If you need to check them let me know.

Jered
    Lubbcok, Texas

May 8, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Hi Jared,

Thanks very much for responding to my question. I appreciate your information. From your answer, it sounds like what I did should be fine. I only cut wires from one coil at a time so I knew I was splicing everything correctly. (I even took digital photos before cutting, just in case I got interrupted and lost my train of thought!)

I was planning to just put back in the dryer to test it, but I know that isn't very technical and it sounds like you have a better suggestion. Is there a way to test it before I put it back in the dryer? That would be great because the space is cramped to work and I'd rather not have to take it back out again if something is wrong.

Thank you,
    Melissa

May 8, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Well first question. Do you have a volt meter or a multitester of any kind?

Jered

May 8, 2007, 06:26 PM
    If you don't have a multimeter then it is a little tricky to test them. If you feel like you want to atempt it then let me know and I will send you the instructions.

If you are uncertain then it would be best to just install them and test them that way.

Jered

May 11, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Hi Jared,

I'm sorry it took me awhile to get back to you.

Yes, I do have a multimeter and am fairly familiar with how it works.

If you can explain how to test the valve assembly, that would be wonderful. I really appreciate your help.

Thank you,
    Melissa

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Gas Dryer LDG8414AAE [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Maytag Gas Dryer Model LDG8414AAE - I don't know the age.. . Maybe 8-10 years old. It just stopped heating (tumbles fine, no noises, good air flow). It is not overused or abused. Where do I begin to check this baby out?

Maytag gas dryer heat shuts down [ 2 Answers ]

My Maytag gas dryer, model DG412 starts normally when cold. After about 20 minutes, the burner shuts down while the drum continues to turn. The burner will not re-light until the dryer has cooled down for a few minutes. The longer it cools before re-lighting, the longer it runs before shutting...

Maytag Gas Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

What is the usual reason why a 1996 Maytag gas dryer doesn't heat properly. It seems to finally start getting warmer near the end of a long long cycle on Regualr heat, timed drying (or any of the other cycle choices)

Squealing Maytag MDG3500 Gas Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I own a 2000 Maytag MDG3500BWW Dryer (purchased new in 2001) Over last two weeks, noticed a squealing squeeking noise after startup, subsiding after 5 minutes, then intermittently getting noisey through drying cycle. With each dryer session, the noise gets worse till it is squeeking through whole...

Maytag gas dryer [ 2 Answers ]

My maytag dryer, model ldg482 runs but the heat does not come on. The igniter comes on but the gas doesn't ignite. Any suggestions?? The owners manual is totally useless and I'm reluctant to call in a service man to look at it since I have a complete tool shop and all tools to do anything.

View more questions Search