Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrWayne Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Tenant won't move, utilities turned off by utility company
    Back again. Last night the police were at the rental unit due to a disturbance caused by the tenant. Police reported that tenant agreed to move today, Monday. Tenant has already move over 90% of stuff out a couple weeks ago but says said today we would still have to evict her. She has 100% of her rent paid by HUD and they sent her a letter Apr 5, 07 stating that her rental assistance was terminated effective April 30, 07. Does the landlord also have to give 30 day notice even when she pays no rent? If the landlord moved her stuff out, would she have to sue for illegal eviction? If the landlord has to sue for eviction, does the tenant also have to sue if illegally evicted?
    AltaVista Posts: 70, Reputation: 12

May 7, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Some of what you're asking is State-specific, so that needs to be known. I've been a tenant (long ago) as well as an owner, and I really feel for what you're going through. It sounds like you need a good real estate attorney to help with this one. One thing that drives me crazy is when a tenant actually Tries to make things more difficult and seems to blame the owner for their own issues. Just hopefully she won't totally trash the place prior to leaving!
    Best of luck.
    AL_owner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Don't MOVE HER STUFF! Even if she has already moved more than half you still cannot move her stuff. This will get you into trouble when you need to have her evicted. Only a Sheriff can come in and move her out after an eviction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant's utilities are turned off [ 3 Answers ]

A tenant's utilities have been disconnected, must the land lord still file for eviction or just move their stuff out?

Tenant give landlord 30-day notice, then doesn't move.Now what? [ 2 Answers ]

Tenant in California, gives landlord a 30-day notice to move. Now 30-days is up, tenant is current on rent, but is not moving. Can the landlord file an unlawful detainer using the TENANT's 30-day notice and it will hold up? Or does landlord have to serve their own 30-day (or 3-day notice if...

Tenant Breaks Lease-Option prior to move in [ 1 Answers ]

Recently my townhouse was on the market and I was approached by someone interested in renting to own. After careful thought and advise from friends and family, I decided to proceed. The person listed terms, that were all agreeable to me, so I bought a contract online and which we completed...

Utilities Tenant on Vacation - Who pays? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My current roommate is a sublessor from my previous roommate. The sublease contract was agreed to and signed by my previous roommate, or sublessee, (who remains on the parent lease), the landlords, myself and my current roommate (the sublessor). In the sublease contract it clearly states...

View more questions Search