Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Navarre Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2005, 07:45 AM
    Exporting Mail from Outlook 2003 to 2000
    I have been strugggling with this (what I feel should be simple and probably is) problem for two days now and its driving me up the wall so could some kindly soul please help!!
    I need to export all my saved e-mails (in various sub-folders within the INBOX) from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2000 on my other computer (as this machine is being returned to its owner. Sob!).
    I have currently exported the said e-mails to a .pst file with the relevant version 'type' for Outlook 2000. Then imported this .pst file backinto Outlook 2003 and then exported it again. However when I try to import the .pst file into Outlook 2000 I get the same error which ever way I try to import it (I.e. 'Import and Export' or 'Open - Personal Folders File .pst'). The error message is 'Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use'.
    How do I do what I'm trying so hard to do (I've trawled through microsofts on-line help stuff but to no avail! :(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2005, 09:59 AM
    The error message sounds like you haven't set up your account in outlook 2K first. Try creating the same account setup as you had in 2003, then try importing the PST file.

Apr 13, 2005, 02:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply ScottGem.
    I have now set up all of my email accounts as they are on my Outlook 2003.
    However I still get exactly the same problem when trying to import the .pst file into Outlook 2000.
    Anything else I should do?
    Cheers
    Regards
    Navarre
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Apr 13, 2005, 02:58 PM
    Howdy:

As per Microsoft..

"If your .pst file is the newer format and you want to open the .pst file on a computer by using Microsoft OutlookŪ 97, OutlookŪ 2000, or OutlookŪ 2002, you must import the items in your Outlook 2003 .pst file to the Outlook 97-2002 .pst format file."

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...roduct=out2003

Murray

Apr 14, 2005, 03:37 AM
    Already Done This
    Thanks SESaskDFC but as per my original post ("I have currently exported the said e-mails to a .pst file with the relevant version 'type' for Outlook 2000.") I have already done this but it still won't import!
    Thanks anyway.
    Regards,
    Navarre
    IanW Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2005, 02:12 PM
    I have been struggling with the same thing... Any answers yet??

Apr 26, 2005, 02:22 PM
    Found the answer to my problems here

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/foru...BLEMS_P207730/

The file I was trying to read was Read-Only and Outlook wouldn't read it!!

It works now :)

Apr 26, 2005, 02:22 PM
    Oops, and here

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...roduct=out2003

Apr 27, 2005, 12:23 AM
    File Permissions
    Hi Everyone, just thought id post that I fixed the problem just in case anybody was having the same problem. It wasn't a problem with either Outlooks in the end it was with 'file permissions' (tags allocated to various files and folders to identify which files can or can't be shared across a network). Because I was trying to read the .pst file from the cd that I had burnt it to the file had permissions of my user on the original machine and the machine I was trying to import it to didn't recognise that I had the right 'permissions' to read this file (see windows help file regarding changing folder/file permissions).
    Thanks to everyone who posted.
    Regards,
    Navarre
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2005, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Navarre
    Because I was trying to read the .pst file from the cd that I had burnt it to ...
    Ahhh, you should have mentioned that in the beginning. If you had even mentioned that you had exported to CD it would have given is the clue. Whenever you burn any file to a CD/R they become read-only. Even if you copy then back to a hard drive, the Read-only attribute stays set. So if you had mentioned a CD was involved we would have quickly picked up on that potential cause of the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exporting Outlook Express contacts [ 2 Answers ]

I just upgraded to a new computer at work. Old comp running Windows 98, new comp with Windows XP MCE. I am trying to export my contacts from Outlook Express from old comp to new, but the contacts are not saved as a .wab file. The prior user had them saved to "Microsoft Outlook Contact Store". There...

Windows 2000/2003 network [ 1 Answers ]

On a Windows 2000/2003 network (Domain). The server is accessible to the workstation through network neighbourhood or UNC. But when I try to access the same workstation from the server, it gives error message.. Network Path was not found. Though the shared folders have been given permissions for...

Outlook 2000 / Exchange 2003: email addresses resolves very slowly [ 2 Answers ]

This is happeneing only to one particular user who received a new computer. When she start a new message and types in the person's name she uses the "Check name" button to resolve the name from the Global Address List. Outlook hangs for about a minute (it's supposed to be instantaneous) then the...

Word 2000, Outlook 2003: My keyboard unexpectedly begins typing gibberish. [ 1 Answers ]

For example, when I type "several years," what appears on the screen is "o.k.pan f.apo". I don't understand why or when this occurs, except that it may occur inconsistently after I've been writing something for longer than a few minutes. Usually, I have to save my work and reboot to...

Access 2000 to 2003 conversions [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew if you convert Acess 2000 to Access 2003 that it will corrupt or change files at all. I have not found anything signifying that it does anywhere else, but a little reassurance would be nice. Thank you, Jared

View more questions Search