Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kittykat08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Outdoor Cat turned Indoor and having Problems
    We recently sold our house and have moved into a condo. Our mostly outdoor cat has become strictly indoor. She doesn't use her litter box at all. She keeps going on our bath mats. She has never gone indoors before and my husband and I have become frustrated. I understand that moving may have been stressful, and I have tried everything to get her to use the box. I have also tried digging in the litter with her and she gets upset at me and attempts to run away. I even tried putting her in the bathroom for awhile so the box is the only thing she can use and now she will only go on the bath mats. She has been fixed and she is almost three years old. Please help!!
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 6, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Poor thing. I'm sure she's feeling the stress.

Have you tried putting just regular dirt from outside in her litter box. Or possibly placing the bath mat in the litter box. It might be easier to transition into cat litter that way. Its going to be a slow process.
    persainpapaya Posts: 58, Reputation: 21

May 7, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Just wanted to make sure that you are not using a litter box with a little door on it. I know when I moved, my two persians were upset too. They didn't want to use the litter box, and I had to keep them (against their will) in one of the bathrooms and leave the litter box open for easy access. I would remove any bath mats from the bathroom for now. Also, AW805s idea about some dirt in the box might help things out. Good luck! Blessings.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

May 7, 2007, 11:25 AM
    This is actually a common problem with cats. We love them for their haughty attitudes until something like this happens!
    What you need to do is contact your vet a obtain a prescription for behavioral modification drugs which, like Prozac, your kitty will need to stay on for roughly 4-6 months, then taper off. In a nutshell, these drugs make them "forget" the offensive behavior. Nothing else will work. Hopefully, if the cat has been examined in the past 6 months, a phone call will get the meds. If not, an office visit will. Good luck!
    P.S. the sooner the better so the new behavior is easier to rectify.
    Springsgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kittykat08
    We recently sold our house and have moved into a condo. Our mostly outdoor cat has become strictly indoor. She doesn't use her litter box at all. She keeps going on our bath mats. She has never gone indoors before and my husband and I have become frustrated. I understand that moving may have been stressful, and I have tried everything to get her to use the box. I have also tried digging in the litter with her and she gets upset at me and attempts to run away. I even tried putting her in the bathroom for awhile so the box is the only thing she can use and now she will only go on the bath mats. She has been fixed and she is almost three years old. Please help!!!
    That funny! My cats do the same thing. They love to use the bath mat as a the litter box. I don't know why either. But I finally threw away the bath mats but then I would put a towel on the floor before taking a shower and the cat would pee on the towel. Finally I gave up and I threw away the mat mats, does use anything but the bare floor and my problem is SOLVED>! She uses the litter box now. Haven't had a problem since.

As far as the outside goes, my house was an outside cat and now an indoor cat. I solved my problem ( was given afvice and it WORKED! ) You need to open the curtains, pull up the blinds and open the window. My cats LOVES to sit in the window and breath the fresh air. She is happy as can be! As a matter of fact, every morning, at 7 am my cat wakes me up meowing and has me follow her to the living room. She will stand there meowing until I open the window. Then she jumped up and sits in the window all day long! Obvioulsy make sure you have secure screens in the window. Nice and tight.
    VAMPYRE1011 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 03:38 PM
    UGH! First of all I'd like to slap MRSCOLTWEAVER! You don't give animals medication just because you don't like the way they behave, god forbid you have children!

Putting dirt in the litter box and removing any material from the floor is the best thing to do. Gradually, if you choose, you could introduce litter to the dirt in the box. If s/he continues to go on the floor, you may have to begin 'walking' her/him or you could always toilet train him. That takes a while though. Hopefully you've already resolved this issue. But I had to say something about the hypochondriac up there!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Vamp... This post is almost 6 months old. Hopefully the issue is resolved by now.
    I understand that you are new to this site, but you really need to learn to disagree in a different manner. No one deserves to be smacked or threatened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat has turned crazy [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, my brother and his son (my nephew) came over this morning and my 1 year old cat all of a sudden started acting like she wants to kill everyone in the house. She is growling and making all these weird noises.She hides under the bed and fights when I,or someone else walks by.Nothings really...

Male tabby vomiting indoor cat but was outside for awhile [ 2 Answers ]

Jasper was outside fro about 6 hours came home without his collar and threw up food and grass. He has been throwing up about every three hours since he has been home. Any suggestions? Brian

Major Cat Problems [ 1 Answers ]

My cat is almost 3 years old and has had major issues most of her life. She is generally a timid cat who does not like strangers or other animals. She has a skin problem which causes her to itch uncontrolably on her head and face only. She has had lab work and is on or has been on several...

Cat Litter Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Our cat is almost 14 years old and has always been an inside/outside cat. We recently moved to a house where he cannot be outside due to the community covenants. He does not even seem to want to go outside so we thought he was okay with the change. However, in the last month, about three...

View more questions Search