Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FJD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 11:32 AM
    ? Adding a pool filter to a 200 amp panel
    I have a 200 amp service and would like to add a pool filter.

2400 sq ft living space, my panel has 25 of 40 slots in use do I need additional panel, I'm trying to get a good idea of my needs prior to getting price quotes.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 6, 2007, 02:40 PM
    You will need to buy a GFI breaker made to fit your panel. Check the pump amperage requirement and go to the next size up for the breaker. Most pumps are 12-15 amps and are 110vac. What are your numbers?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 6, 2007, 02:50 PM
    If the pool is storable , probably need a 20 amp 120 volt circuit, and a permanent pool would probably need at least a 20 amp 240 volt circuit.

Do yourself a favor and use at least #10 wire for a 20 amp circuit, and #8 for a 30 amp circuit. This will help with voltage drop caused by the distance and help start the motor easier. Try to get a 240 motor , helps keep the amps low. Any pump motor will need GFI protection.

Pay special attention to grounding the pool, all metal, and the pump motor. Best to check with local codes on this.

A 20 amp 120 general purpose GFI outlet will be needed between 10 and 20 feet of the pool.

The service can handle the load easily.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

Using 100 amp panel on 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

I am building new camp at a site that already has 200 amp service. My power requirements are small and 100 amp will be more than sufficient. Is there any reason I cannot hookup a 100 amp panel to the 200 amp meter socket? Not sure is code allows this. I want to use a small 100 amp panel vs the...

200 Amp Service Panel with 60 Amp Main Breakers [ 26 Answers ]

I was told when we purchased our house that it had 200 Amp service which it appears to be; however, the top of each bus bars only has 60 Amp breakers for the Main shut offs. Is this normal? Each bus bar is connected to a hot wire (one red and one black) and then the two 60 amp breakers are...

200 amp main service panel [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning on upgrading my main service panel (in basement) to a 200 amp service, I want to put a 100 amp sub-panel to the attic for central air and all the lighting on the second floor(about 18 hi-hats and 4 fans). From the 100 amp sub in attic I also want to run a 50 amp breaker feeding a...

Size of 200 amp panel box [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any smaller boxes for updating to 200 amp service than the 36" X 18" standrard box my electrician mentioned. This box would have to be installed in our master bedroom as we have no basement and the existing 100 amp box is in the closet, where he cannot legally install the new service. ...

View more questions Search