Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JunKzrus Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Tax on Per-Diem
    Hi

I would be transferred to Plano, TX on an L1 VISA for a period of ~2 years. I would only be paid charges in US for housing etc. (actuals), per-diem (1600 per month) and car-expenses. I will continue to be paid my basic salary at my primary place of employment.

What are the tax implications? Would I be required to pay taxes on the per-diem / house charges and car-expenses?

I tried to find out about this on several websites (google,IRS/GSA), but could not find information of much help. Any pointers to sites would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Regards
    Jun
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 5, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Since you will be in the U.S. for over 183 days, your salary IS subject to U.S. income taxes.

The per diem and other charges may also be subject to taxes unless they are on an accoutnable plan.

May 8, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Thanks for the quick answer. What if the per-diem amount is lower than the GSA specified standard? Will it still be taxable? Will the house and car-rentals (at actuals) also be taxable?

Normally, my company would put me up in a hotel and provide cab service- but since it is a longer duration of time; they're opting for a house & car on rent.

Regards
    Shishir
    Senior Tax Expert

May 9, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Per diem is generally taxable, because, by definition, it is NOT an accountable plan.

However, if the per diem is taxable, you can at least partially offset it by claiming the GSA-specified per diem as an employee business expense.

May 13, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Per diem is generally taxable, because, by definition, it is NOT an accountable plan.

However, if the per diem is taxable, you can at least partially offset it by claiming the GSA-specified per diem as an employee business expense.
    Thanks a ton. Does that mean that if the expenses are below the GSA specified per-diem, then there should not be a problem at all :)

Regards
    Jun Kzrus
    RetiredNavy Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

May 13, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JunKzrus
    Hi

I would be transferred to Plano, TX on an L1 VISA for a period of ~2 years. I would only be paid charges in US for housing etc. (actuals), per-diem (1600 per month) and car-expenses. I will continue to be paid my basic salary at my primary place of employment.

What are the tax implications? Would I be required to pay taxes on the per-diem / house charges and car-expenses?

I tried to find out about this on several websites (google,IRS/GSA), but could not find information of much help. Any pointers to sites would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Regards
    Jun
    I am a US citizen and have receive per diem, lodging and auto expenses both from the Government and as a Department of Defense Contraactor and have never had tax's taken for those expenses. Those expesnses are considered business expenses and not as personal income tax, thus is falls into the coroporate accounting books.
    Senior Tax Expert

May 14, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Per diem as paid to military and defense contractors IS considered as part of an accountable plan because it follows the GSA-specified amounts.

Per diem paid by corporations often do NOT follow the GSA-specified amount, which means they have to meet other requirements to be considered part of an accountable plan.
    Ve cc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Per diem paid by corporations often do NOT follow the GSA-specified amount, which means they have to meet other requirements to be considered part of an accountable plan.
    Hi. I am an S-corp paying myself. I have a temporary project in a different state. Can you direct me wher to find information on the requirements to be part of an accountable plan? Thanks.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Oct 27, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Since the person was going to be in Plano for 2 years, the per diem would be fully taxable. That's because the assignment is no longer temporary.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Go to Internal Revenue Service for the accountable plan requirements.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Understanding Per Diem [ 5 Answers ]

Hello All, I am staying in Houston, Texas and now am posted on a project in Plano, Texas. My employer have allowed me to claim the per diem expenses for lodging and dining.So from IRS point of view if I claimed the maximum per diem amount (which is $153 for plano as per Pub 1542) do I have to...

Per Diem and more headaches [ 5 Answers ]

Okay... here we go. PROBLEM #1 My husband works out of state and is paid per diem, I think anywhere around $60-$80 a day and is not required to keep receipts or anything like that. On his W-2 for this company, they list one amount in the normal box 1 for the wages and such but in box 14 they...

Per Diem [ 1 Answers ]

As an employer, we pay per diem. I know I do not report it on their 1099's, but where would I claim it on our company tax return?

Per Diem for Contractor [ 1 Answers ]

I am employed by a VA based staffing company and at present I am working as a contractor at CA. I hold H1B visa and my legal status in the U.S. is non resident alien. Due to nature of my job, I am required to relocate at least twice a year. My question is that if I am working on an assignment which...

Per Diem and W-2's [ 1 Answers ]

I had been advised in the past to include per diem to my drivers on their W-2's. Can anyone tell me which line item the per diem amount goes on the W-2? Do I have to list this amount as Per Diem paid on the W-2 also? I am assuming so but just not sure where exactly to put the amount paid to the...

View more questions Search