Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gizmoball Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2005, 07:32 PM
    Taxation for affiliate commission
    Hi, I am an MBA student from Thailand and now I am studying an MBA in San Francisco. I earn some money from the internet. I am promoting some merchant websites through Google Adwords. When some visitors buy products that I am promoting, I get paid commission. The problem is that
    1. I am not a resident - I am holding F-1 Visa
    2. The company that I am promoting their website is a non-US based company. The company is located in Malta. So they sent the commission to me from a bank in Malta which is an offshore bank.

Do I have to pay taxes to IRS for my affiliate commission?

Thank you for your answer.
    Gizmoball
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2005, 09:15 PM
    Gizmoball:

Are you paying taxes on the money earned to Thailand? If so, I would have no problem arguing that this income is foreign-based income and therefore is not taxable by the U.S. government.

If not, the IRS would argue that the income is U.S.-based (since Google is U.S.-based) and assess taxes accordingly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Affiliate Program Information Manager [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a good software program to maintain and monitor various information collected from numerous Internet Affiliate Marketing Programs which I have joined and am now actively promoting. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Please give name of software program and why you like...

Double taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US citizen of Indian origin. I am working in the US and hold non-qualified stock options (of my company which is co-headquared out of the US and India). If I now go and settle (long term) in India, and exercise my options, will I be liable to paying any taxes in the US? (I...

Affiliate [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting a buy/sell business and I need to earn some money. So I am trying to find an affiliate program. I heard on Google answers that there are certain buisnesses (Cruise/Hotel booking) Actually give you a free site and domain and you earn money if you get some one to sign up. Where can I...

How to make money through affiliate program? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all of you, We finally chosen this affiliate program after a long process of other techniques and methods. How its really works helpful will we get money? Thanks, Romaerio.

Taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Does higher taxation mean better standard of living? Justification is required.

View more questions Search