Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tristand Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Taking out existing lighting
    I am currently in the process of removing 2 fluorescent lights in my kitchen and going to be replacing with 1 unit. As far as the wiring for the other component that is not going to be used what do I do with it? Would I just cap the wires and leave it be or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    NorCal68 Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

May 4, 2007, 02:12 PM
    That's exactly what I've done in the past and it has been fine (for years). I simply cut back the ends of the wires (Make Sure the breaker is OFF! And you've tested for any current first!) and then screw wire nuts onto each wire. Next, I wrap each wire with electrical tape to secure the wire nut and that's it.
    tristand Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. That is what I will do!

May 4, 2007, 03:53 PM
    No problem... like I said, you shouldn't have any issues, and I've even drywalled / patched the old location. And the house is still standing 15 years later! LOL

If you don't mind, if you would rate my answer I'd certainly appreciate it!
    Thanks
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

May 4, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Most electric codes do not permit a electric box with spliced wires to be buried behind walls or ceilings. While it may be fine with no problems for many the selected few may experience problems in the future with shorts and possible fires. Wires should be removed by someone who is familiar with electric codes in your area

May 4, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Very good point about following electrical codes. You can always do the wire nuts / tape part and then finish with an approved cover plate - and Not plaster over the plate.
    I'd have to grab an NEC book, but that would probably be acceptable. And I'm sure a licensed electrician would tell you what codes apply in your area.
    Safety is always the first concern.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2007, 08:31 PM
    It may be a simple issue, I'm sure above the ceiling there is just a wire running between the 2 lights. Is it possible to get above the ceiling and remove this wire?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 4, 2007, 08:50 PM
    If the wire is live, then burying the wires is not allowed, and the junction box would need to be accessible. If dead and is permanently disabled, then taping well and burying in a box is fine. Do note that code does not require abandoned wire be removed completely where possible without causing any damage.

This is a basic requirement of electrical code, and all local codes will follow.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 11:52 AM
    They make a round, near flush cover, and no screws showing. Can be accessed later.Its plastic. Don't bury
    If the one you want to delete has only one set of wires. It goes to other light.
    Then see if you can unscrew box from stud, loosen locknut at other box, and give a light pull. If you can, remove wire Plug knockout and patch ceiling.

Also. Its cheaper to leave it, than to put it back later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New toilet over existing slab [ 1 Answers ]

Am planning to install a toilet over an existing slab in an existing workout room, but am builing a floor 8 inches above the slab. Is this enough drop for the plumbing or will I have to jackhammer the slab to run pipe under the slab?

Can I use Power from an existing switch [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm new to this site. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to add a new pendent light in the bathroom between two recessed lights, but I would like it to have it's own switch. I want to avoid destroying the drywall or paint, and I don't mean where I have to cut in a new box....

Pre-existing condition [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid off his job in Feb. 2006. His insurance continued through the end of Feb. and then I added him to my insurance as of March 1st 2006. His doctor scheduled an endoscopie. It was done in May(under MY insurance). Because he had talked with his doctor about acid reflux in Jan. and...

View more questions Search