Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    georgew6 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 09:40 PM
    I do not think there is any good treatment for online addiction
    I am addicted to the Internet and have had counseling. This counseling was not specifically for the Internet since I had depression. Well, there really didn't seem to be an answer to my addiction. Maybe someone else has one? I've been on twelve hours today and skipped meals etc, have a headache and lost another good day to this addiction.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

May 4, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Remove the temptation:

Cancel your Internet service, and if you have to, get rid of your computer.
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

May 5, 2007, 05:24 AM
    I think the Internet can be addicting. I have a friend that was on line the entire time he was awake. He lost his job and almost lost his family.
    He turned this into a business and is now a successful Web Designer. I don't know if this is an option for you, but I just wanted you to know that sometimes we can make some things positive. Good luck and don't stop trying to beat this addiction.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Hello George:

You confuse an obsession with an addiction. Don't worry, lots of people do that - like being addicted to sex. How ridiculous is that??

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 07:39 AM
    An addiction to the internet? Yes, it is not only possible but many people have experienced this. A drastic solution is to drop your internet provider and sell your computer.

Go get involved in the world outside your door. Develop other interests that will enhance your life. A hobby, volunteer, a part time job, two part time jobs, etc.

If you find you cannot live without your computer, you know you are dependent. What other addictions do you suffer from?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2007, 08:15 AM
    I will agree, computer needs to go.
    georgew6 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 11:29 PM
    Thanks all,

I would find it impossible to live without my computer now as it does many things for me that I otherwise would not be able to do. This must be a problem for people without a computer and Internet connection. Well, now I have to go to bed. Too much Internet time. I guess another drastic solution is to go back to dial-up. I had to use one last week for several days. Sure did not like that.

George
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 11:47 PM
    You're joking right? Would you not have been able to exist in a world without computers 25 years ago? Of course you would, you don't need the computer for anything, you just think you do.

I suggest getting rid of your computer. A dial-up will just frustrate it more. You only rely on it because you're addicted. Dial-up is a wimpy half solution.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 11:52 PM
    Hi, George!

To me, a big part of life is about making choices. You are making a choice here to spend so much time on the Internet. I too, spend way too much time on the Internet. It is a choice that I make. But, the one thing that helps to keep me balanced as far as the time that I spend on the Internet in regards to what I really need to do for the day, is to ask myself, "Am I in control of this? Or, is this in control of me?" Helps to keep me in check.

Also, just for clarification as to what an addiction is, one of the definitions is that it is "The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something." addiction - definition of addiction by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

May 17, 2007, 03:56 AM
    Internet Addiction Test (IAT),
    Welcome to the Center for Internet Addiction Recovery
    Welcome to the Center for Internet Addiction Recovery
    When I googled internet addiction, I got so many results. Here are a few, I hope they help.
    Good luck.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 17, 2007, 04:03 AM
    Now I like that top link:

Your score 89
    80 - 100 points: Your Internet usage is causing significant problems in your life. You should evaluate the impact of the Internet on your life and address the problems directly caused by your Internet usage.

Well hey I'm a techie and that's what I do.
    What complete hogwash.

Now to the OP.
    Internet addition my bottom.
    You are using this as an excuse to facing up to your life.
    As has already been mentioned, DUMP your computer or at the very least get rid of your connection.
    Stop living out of your momms basement and go outside.
    Sunlight doesn't hurt and fresh air WILL do you good!!

May 17, 2007, 06:05 AM
    I didn't take the test, but it sounds interesting. HMMMMMMM I wonder what my score would be? I never really thought about it.
    I am on the Webb when I am not doing house work, cooking , watching the kids play outside, doing my girl scout thing, etc.
    I am laughing at myself because this board is most of what I do on line. I find it very enlightening.
    It is good to know that a lot of what I see on here is happening to a whole lot of people and I think it is a good thing when people know the problems they are having are not unique but shared by many.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Hello again,

When you extend the horrors of addiction to things that are not addicting, you cheapen real addictions. That's my view, and I'm sticking with it.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The addiction I was never meant to have [ 10 Answers ]

The addiction, I face is hard for me to say but masterbaiting. I was so good and made it almost 2 years and ti started up again. It now ahs becaome this repititve stupidty. I want to , I But I know I don't want to. And the sin, and the horrible pain and ye I keep doing it. And I think it is a...

Addiction [ 25 Answers ]

Help. I just found out that my best friend as an addiction for sleeping tablets called Stilnox. She doesn't only take them to help her sleep but she takes them evey day soon after she awakes. She takes about 5 a day. I keep trying to her she don't need them but she is adamant she does and can't...

Addiction to Ice? [ 2 Answers ]

My mom is an alcoholic and a long time smoker. She has been 6 months sober and has picked up a new addiction. Ice, not the drug, but literally frozen water... She says it curbs her craving for nicotine sometimes. Does anyone know a reason why she might choose ice?

A good online university [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a good online university that is ?

View more questions Search