Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nick schnell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Residential electricle
    What decade was aluminum wiring installed on the interior of the house and what does it look like on the outer shieth. Allso what are your thoughts on the stuff. My family and I
    Are house shopping.

Concerned shopper
    Anthony_ Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Here is some info on alum. Wiring:
    The Hazards of Aluminum Wiring in a Home
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

May 2, 2007, 03:22 PM
    Aluminum wiring was used between 1965 and 1973. It was thought to be a cheaper alternative to copper, but aluminum turned out to be junk. It's use had resulted in numerous house fires. From the outside the sheath looks like a normal insulated single wire, though the insulation doesn't appear as strong as the PVC insulation used today. My house had aluminum wire and I replaced
    It with copper, including new switches/outlets. Other drawbacks with aluminum is that it breaks easily if it is bent more than two or three times, and it doesn't have the current carrying capacity of a copper wire of the same size. The only way to feel safe is to upgrade to copper or use an approved crimp method at the screw connections. If you find a house with aluminum wiring, I would definitely ask for a price reduction as you will most likely need some electrical work- the following is from a website:

Aluminum wiring expands when it warms up, and
    Contracts then it cools down. Aluminum reacts differently
    Than copper wire after several warm/cooling cycles. After
    Each cycle aluminum tends to lose more of its tightness.
    This process is often referred to as "cold creep".
    Combined with aluminum's tendency to oxidize when in
    Contact with certain metals, these factors can lead to
    Dangerous problems. When aluminum oxidizes it heats
    Up more to conduct the same amount of electricity, which
    Then causes more oxidation. Due to this cycle, eventually
    The wires may start to get very hot, melt the fixture that it
    Attached to, and even possibly cause a fire.
    If you are considering purchasing a home with aluminum
    Wiring, or have discovered it later, it would be a good
    Idea to hire a licensed electrician or inspector to check
    Over the wiring for any potential problems.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 3, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Pulling off the main panel Cover should Reveal Aluminum. Heat causing expansion and
    Contraction causes loose connections, Loose connections generate heat. Usually gets worse. Will also cause wire to be brittle.
    If you had to have house(Flat out, had to have it) Consider Changing out switches and Recpticles, Maybe Decora Style, and use something like NO-Ox (for aluminum to copper) on connections and at panel connections. Hopefully The Big Drawing appliances used copper. I never use Aluminum, have repaired many when it was in use.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 3, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Aluminium wire was used on new installation, in some homes, from 1965 utnil 1973. Check out this site for info http://www.cpsc.gov/ There are fixes for this wiring so maybe take this into consideration when making an offer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Residential boiler system [ 2 Answers ]

I have a residential boiler system in the house I bought. When I turned on the water supply to the boiler from the water system in the house, the T&P relief valve blew. I am assuming that this is because the water pressure in my household system (approx 70 psi) is too high for the boiler. The T&P...

Safer residential service. [ 3 Answers ]

Which is safer L1-110 L2-110 With center tap to ground Or L1-220 L2 gounded Thanks

A/c residential [ 4 Answers ]

Last summer when we had the really hot days of 90-100 degree temp outside my a/c system would not cool the house below 80 degrees inside and the unit would run constantly I decided today to check the system I put my guages on the cond. Unit and had a suction pressure of 45 and a discharg pressure...

Residential Land Contract [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to find an instructional package for residential real estate land contracts that may also contain forms for both buyer and seller? Hopefully at minimal cost.

Residential Wire splicing [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to relocate an old receptacle to a new wall location in our house. If I will splice a new wire to the old one and put it in a box, should that box be visible on the wall(with cover plate) or can I just hide the box inside the wall. Thanks.

View more questions Search