Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Craig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2005, 11:19 PM
    Kitchen sprayer leaking at source
    Hi! Everyone here seems pretty helpful so I thought I would give this a shot... I had to get a new sprayer hose for my kitchen sink (old one got a hole) and I cannot seem to get it to stop leaking at the water source (where I attached to new hose) no matter how tight I try to make it (my knuckles are killing me... ) My old hose had what I think is called a ferrell connection, but even when I tried to re-attach the old hose (just to see what would happen) that would leak at the source too. I have also tried a universal hose that seemed to be ferrell and that didn't work (plus I couldn't figure out how to attach the old nozzle on the other end). I have also tried using the white threading tape (though I'm not sure if that is the right kind); basically it still leaks out of the top of the new hose where it connects to the little pipe under the faucet. Am I just not able to get it tight enough and will putty or something help?

I am very ignorant of technical stuff so if you respond please use the most basic layman's terms possible... THANKS!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 4, 2005, 05:18 AM
    Kitchen sprayer leaking at source
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Hi! Everyone here seems pretty helpful so I thought I would give this a shot...I had to get a new sprayer hose for my kitchen sink (old one got a hole) and I cannot seem to get it to stop leaking at the water source (where I attached to new hose) no matter how tight I try to make it (my knuckles are killing me...) My old hose had what I think is called a ferrell connection, but even when I tried to re-attach the old hose (just to see what would happen) that would leak at the source too. I have also tried a universal hose that seemed to be ferrell and that didn't work (plus I couldn't figure out how to attach the old nozzle on the other end). I have also tried using the white threading tape (though I'm not sure if that is the right kind); basically it still leaks out of the top of the new hose where it connects to the little pipe under the faucet. Am I just not able to get it tight enough and will putty or something help?

I am very ignorant of technical stuff so if you respond please use the most basic layman's terms possible...THANKS!!
    Hey Craig,

The hose connection has threads that go into the bottom of the faucet valve body. Did you wrap those threads with Teflon Tape before installing. If not do so and I'll bet your leak will disappear. Cheers, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2005, 07:44 AM
    The way the hoses work is that there is a piece of metal with threads on one end, and a small tube on the other that the hose slips over. Usually they come from the factory with a metal band crimped over the end of the hose to hold it in place. The piece of metal is called a hose nipple or hose barb. If you removed the old hose barb, You need to do no more to make Tom's answer work except use a wrench to tighten the nipple. You may also have cross threaded it. If you don't get it started straight, it will only go in a little ways, and leak. You have to take it back out and carefully start it again. It will be a fight, because you have damaged the threads. You may need to use the wrench almost right away while carefully keeping it straight.

If instead, you removed the old hose from the nipple, clean everything up, tape, putty, etc. and go buy a hose clamp that will fit. Measure the outside of the hose, and look for a radiator clamp that small. Carefully install the clamp where you can reach it with a screwdriver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant pressure kitchen sprayer [ 7 Answers ]

I'm looking for a sprayer(such as a kitchen sink sprayer) to connect to a Reverse Osmosis filter to rinse my hair, (we have a salty well) I have a variable speed aux. pump installed to supply this sprayer and my ice maker. I'm having a hard time coming up with a sprayer that will take continuous...

Kitchen Faucet Not working... but sprayer does? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: This faucet was installed by a previous homeowner and I'd like to troubleshoot before diving in or replacing the faucet. This is a compression faucet with a separate sprayer. When you turn on the hot or cold or both, barely a trickle of water comes out of spout. The sprayer works, but...

Kitchen Sink Sprayer blew off [ 5 Answers ]

HELP - I have the sprayer hose in my hand, I read out the diverter thing, if I put my finger over where the sprayer goes water will come out of the spout. I sprayer coupling appears to be still attached under the sink. Can I get help with a quick fix? I can't get it off, any suggestions to how I...

Kitchen sink sprayer [ 3 Answers ]

My kitchen sink sprayer will spray but only a trickle comes out. I seem to have no pressure. Can you help me fix this.

Kitchen sink sprayer pulsates [ 1 Answers ]

When we use our kitchen sink sprayer, it pulsates. It never used to do this, it has just started recently. Any thoughts? Thanks, Michele??

View more questions Search