Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Freon capacity
    How many pounds of freon does it take to charge a 3 ton unit?
    Thanks,
    Don
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 05:32 PM
    It depends on the distance from you condensing unit to the Evaporator coil. But an average guess would be around six pounds.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 06:50 PM
    What ever you do think before you put the refrigerant into your system. You need gages and the knowledge to read them. Overcharging can be dangerous to your system and to yourself.
    drc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    It depends on the distance from you condensing unit to the Evaporator coil. But an average guess would be around six pounds.

Thanks,
    Just wanted to know so I wouldn't get ripped off.
    Don
    Jackle3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 09:56 PM
    Someone help. I think I am getting ripped off. My a/c froze up last Friday. The a/c guy came out and had to put 5lbs of freon in the unit. He didn't check for leaks or anything and said I should be fine. That cost $195.

The unit froze up again Wednesday. I called him back out here and there was only 23 psi reading on his gage, he said there is a major leak and hooked a bottle of nitrogen up to the unit and found out that the coil is leaking freon. I have a Tempstar SmartComfort 2000. The house is not yet 5 years old so he said the coil is under warranty. However, I still have to pay for labor and yet again the freon. I asked how much freon it was going to take and he said about 14 lbs. The label on the outside of the unit reads 150 oz, last time I checked that was 9 lbs. I asked the man about this and he said he had to allow some for other things but 5 more lbs?? I don't see how this can be correct.

How can I tell how many tons my unit is? Model TCH042AKC1. My home is 1800 sqf.

Thank you!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 02:10 PM
    The 42 in the model number indicate that it is a 3 and 1/2 ton unit, it takes 1200 BTU to equal one ton of air conditioning.

The size of the A. C. is about average for a home that is 1800 Square feet.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Its time to find a company that you can trust.
    joseph12345 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2011, 12:52 PM
    How much psi of refrigrant a 2 ton ac need
    drb197758 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 07:04 PM
    How much freon doses a 1997 volswagon jetta takes 2.0 engine
    jeff25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2013, 08:02 AM
    How much freon should be needed for a 2001 chevrolet Cavailier?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c freon pressures [ 5 Answers ]

My a/c unit is not cooling correctly,unit runs all night and cools somewhat,I belie=ve the pressure is low,what should be the readings on low & high side tubing.

Freon cap left off [ 11 Answers ]

I had a new heater installed this winter. There were two installers: one guy who did almost all of the work and another guy who spent most of the day outside talking on his cell phone. The cell phone dude was the working on the outside unit. We tried to test out our a/c today, and guess what?...

Punctured freon line repair [ 3 Answers ]

I was defrosting the mini freezer behind my bar and puntured the freon line on the aluminum ice cube tray shelf. Is there any way to repair this, or do I have to discard the freezer

How much Freon [ 2 Answers ]

How much freon (R19) should be used to fill a home A/C unit. I need to replace the evaporator and must dischrage the system and refill it.

Spewing sound in Freon line [ 3 Answers ]

The Freon line to the central heat and air unit for the second floor unit run across the ceiling of my bedroom. Recently just before the air handler starts I hear a spewing, or gurgling sound. The unit appears to heat/cool OK. Is this something I should be concerned about? The outside unit is...

View more questions Search