Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    como143a Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Bank takes funds after verification destroys check.
    My brother-in-law had a check for over 20,000 and brought it to his bank that was the same as the person that drafted the check. Because he had had problems with the check in the past he requested a certified check from the bank. The teller said there was no need for a certified check because the person had funds to cover the check. He then deposited the check and about 5 days later the took the funds from his accounts. He also found out that somehow the bank had destroyed the check and has no copies of the check. The wife of the party that wrote the check works for that bank. :( He has suffered a big loss. What is the banking law about this type of transaction?:confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 3, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Hello como:

The bank should give him back the check. If they can't, they should pay the $20 grand back. But, they're not going to. He needs a lawyer.

excon
    como143a Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2007, 10:02 AM
    He is in mediation and has hired an attorney. The bank has canceled all his accounts an lines of credit. They say they do not have the check it has been destroyed. :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens if you cash a check that a bank sent you by mistake [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I received a check from a bank to my name for an amount of money that I don't recall is due to me. What would happen if I cash this check? Can I be charged with a crime, if the bank decides to recall the check? Are any other types of cahrges can be brought against me if I cash the...

Bank funds garnished [ 5 Answers ]

I just learned that my accounts have been garnished because of a student loan issued by the school not PHEAA has not been paid. How do I get them to remove the levy? Do I make a payment arrangement and the accounts are unfrozen? How does this work?? :eek:

Bank Account Levy-froze Student Loan Funds [ 2 Answers ]

I had outstanding credit card debt 5 yrs ago and am in the process of settling all accts. However, I deposited my STUDENT LOAN CHECK in my bank account, and I guess because of the higher balance a lawyer firm that I had no idea was suuing me because they sent all correspondence to the wrong...

Bounced check - bank mistake [ 2 Answers ]

I have discover credit card - they send me blank check that, I can write for up to my credit limit and it's going to be 0% interest rate for 12 months. I deposited the check in my account - discover card posted the check on my account for $10,000. 3 weeks later, I found out that check was...

Garnished bank account funds [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Texas. In 1999 I had a business that failed. One company that I owed filed a judgement. Now I have been told by my bank that my bank account funds have been garnished, from said judgement. According to Texas Law only tax levies can garnish a bank account. I have filed and signed a letter...

View more questions Search