Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steveK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 06:07 AM
    vinyl siding vs hardiplank
    What are the pros and cons of vinyl siding vs hardiplank?

Thank you,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Vinyl can crack if hit with a hard object but it will not require much long term maintenance and is cheaper. Hardiplank has deeper texture and may look a bit more like real wood. You must paint it or buy pre-painted planks with a 15 year paint warranty. The plank itself has a 50 year warranty.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 20, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Unless Your Wanting A Wood Like Appearance From The Street, Id Just Go With Viynl Siding, You Really Don't Want To Paint Do You?
    The Hardi Plank Is Some Dusty Work To. Great For Your Tools. Right Ballenger , Good Luck , Nichols Trim
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2010, 07:40 PM

I realize this is an old post, but I am looking at the same sort of options. Frankly, the ability to repaint is somewhat of a plus to me. It can be nice to change colors down the road. I am a fairly skilled amateur. Is replacing my current siding (1 x 10 roughsawn pine... lousy!) something I might want to tackle? My biggest concern is how to go about replacing the planks where the electric meter enters. Any advice? The hardiplank looks good to me and is reasonably priced at about seven bucks for a 12 foot board, 8" wide.
    ruthw58 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I realize this is an old post, but I am looking at the same sort of options. Frankly, the ability to repaint is somewhat of a plus to me. It can be nice to change colors down the road. I am a fairly skilled amateur. Is replacing my current siding (1 x 10 roughsawn pine...lousy!) something I might want to tackle? My biggest concern is how to go about replacing the planks where the electric meter enters. Any advice? The hardiplank looks good to me and is reasonably priced at about seven bucks for a 12 foot board, 8" wide.
    I've been researching this online-- to decide what to put on my house. Haven't made a decision yet, but have found references that there is some danger to installing hardiplank yourself because of the dust(which contains silicon) you might breath in.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2010, 02:04 PM

A decent respirator should handle that.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 02:28 PM

Call power company and ask about having power temporarily disconnected. If you work up to the meter and service entrance cable, then schedule power disconnect you shouldn't be with out power long. You may have to have electrical permit and inspection. If you are using power tools have a standby generator. If you don't have to have permit your outage should be hours.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2010, 04:17 PM

Thanks for that reply. That part of it is the major hang up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good vinyl siding price per square? [ 5 Answers ]

It's been awhile since I've called around. I'm told that a good price for a decent grade (for back sides of apartments) vinyl siding is $46 per square. (I'm in central Ohio, and not buying bulk... probably buying 12 squares at a time once every other month or so) Does that sound about...

How do I choose the right vinyl siding? [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to hire a contractor to put vinyl siding on my farm house, replacing the aluminum siding damaged by hail. I've heard quality of vinyl runs across the board. I don't want the cheap stuff they put on slab vinyl box homes. Some questions I have are: What should I look for in choosing...

Sticky numbers off vinyl siding [ 1 Answers ]

I been trying to get the sticky house numbers that came with my house off my vinyl siding and I cant. Does anyone know how to get them off... please help

Vinyl siding incorrectly installed? [ 3 Answers ]

> Not sure where to begin with my question, but here goes. About a year ago, > I had my old cedar shingle siding removed and new Crane 5" vinyl siding > installed. Since then, I've been living a nightmare! The noises my house > makes are unbelievable! I get three different types of noise: 1)...

Hardiplank vs vinyl siding which is best [ 2 Answers ]

We are in the process of residing our home after having a car back into it:( . The contractor highly praises hardiplank but the window salesman claims that his vinyl siding is superior. How do you choose? We are open to any and all suggestions.

View more questions Search