Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leverman0411 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2005, 08:03 PM
    Washer Backup!
    Hey Everyone I Am New To The Site Because I Have A Big Problem! I Live In The Country Where I Have Septic Tank And The Water Drains Into A Pipe Underground That Eventually Goes To A Field Tile. I Recentely Installed A New Washer And Dryer And Did All The Hookups Myself. The Dryer Is Working Great But The Washer Not So Great. I Used 1 1/2 Pipe For The Stand Pipe Which Is Over 36" High, I Have No Sink And The Washer Drains Directly Into The Drainage Line Roughly 12 Feet Away. The Drain Line Is Old And Is Also 1 1/2. The Problem Is That The Water Is Backing Up And Not Running Out. Though The Rest Of The House Water Is Draining Perfectly Fine. The Water Is Coming Into The Kitchen Sink And Up My Stand Pipe In The Basement For My Water Softner. I Want To Try To Avoid Putting In A Bigger Drain Pipe To The Outside So I Was Considering Putting A Chack Valve In The Line After The Kitchen Sink So The Washer Water Has Only One Way To Go And That Is Out. But What Happens If It Still Don't Drain? I Am Looking For The Best Possible Wway To Do This?? Thanks A Bunch For The Help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2005, 10:02 PM
    The sink may seem to drain well, but may not take as much water as the washer discharges. I would try snaking the line from the sink or washer back to the main drain. If that doesn't help, you may have to to put in a bigger pipe to the main drain line.

Also, look back in plumbing for other threads on washers not draining.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 2, 2005, 06:00 AM
    Drainage Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by leverman0411
    Hey Everyone I Am New To The Site Because I Have A Big Problem! I Live In The Country Where I Have Septic Tank And The Water Drains Into A Pipe Underground That Eventually Goes To A Field Tile. I Recentely Installed A New Washer And Dryer And Did All The Hookups My Self. The Dryer Is Working Great But The Washer Not So Great. I Used 1 1/2 Pipe For The Stand Pipe Which Is Over 36" High, I Have No Sink And The Washer Drains Directly Into The Drainage Line Roughly 12 Feet Away. The Drain Line Is Old And Is Also 1 1/2. The Problem Is That The Water Is Backing Up And Not Running Out. Though The Rest Of The House Water Is Draining Perfectly Fine. The Water Is Coming Into The Kitchen Sink And Up My Stand Pipe In The Basement For My Water Softner. I Want To Try To Avoid Putting In A Bigger Drain Pipe To The Outside So I Was Considering Putting A Chack Valve In The Line After The Kitchen Sink So The Washer Water Has Only One Way To Go And That Is Out. But What Happens If It Still Dont Drain? I Am Looking For The Best Possible Wway To Do This???? Thanks A Bunch For The Help!!
    Labman sounds like he hit the problem. You have a partial blockage in your drain line. Putting a check valve on the kitchen sink would only cause the water to seek a outlet some where else. Most likely back up the washer stand pipe. We install our washer lines at 2" but our older homes, including mine, have 1 1/2" washer lines. Snake the washer line and see if that doesn't fix your problem. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backup in downstairs toilet-basement washer-outside main drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am having (in my opinion) a major plumbing disaster. I have a 2 story house with 2 and 1/2 bathrooms & basement. I have backup in my downstairs toilet (it hasn't overflowed---YET--but pretty close). I also have backup to the tippy top of my washer-which is located in the basement. I...

Backup [ 1 Answers ]

I have Server Dell 4400 power edge OS: NT 4 Server with Service Pack 6 Tape Drive: Compaq DLT7000 External Backup Software: Arc Serve 2000 When I take the backup, it starts successfully and after finishing the First tape it asks for the second tape to continue, when we insert second Tape....

Backup drive [ 3 Answers ]

Could you tell me if there is a way to stop half my hard drive from being used for backup by xp. This feature in my opion is usless because twice in the last year when I had a computer problem it wouldn't boot so I had to reinstall by the factory disk and erase everything. Vinny

View more questions Search