Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nena123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Backyard mud in dog pen
    I have part of my backyard fenced off for my dog. She has worn down part of the area and now it is all dirt. It becomes a small mud pit when it rains. Any suggestions on how to fix this. Someone suggested filling the area with mulch. Has anyone heard of this?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2007, 08:19 PM
    I have seen it done. It depends on the dog. Some of them would eat the mulch. Beware of coca hull mulch, it could kill the dog. You could also look at gravel. Put landscaping fabric or something under to keep it from being pounded down into the mud.

I went through my annual spring futility rite last week digging up the soil, spreading seed and covering it with straw. I also tried a more aggressive annual rye. At least the straw helps keep down the mud.
    Chris50 Posts: 30, Reputation: 10

May 3, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nena123
    I have part of my backyard fenced off for my dog. She has worn down part of the area and now it is all dirt. It becomes a small mud pit when it rains. Any suggestions on how to fix this. Someone suggested filling the area with mulch. Has anyone heard of this?
    A few things to try... pine bark mulch, it's bigger that regular mulch, and more absorbent. However if your dog is a chewer, she may eat the bark. River rock will also cover the area. I just did my mother in law's backyard. It's larger than pea gravel.. smooth and doesn't sink in very far. Her muddy mess disappeared. And if you have a natural slope, a small trench filled with the rock can drain it away from the where the water is pooling. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 black labs tear up backyard [ 3 Answers ]

Well I have a small chicago backyard--i have 3 black labs that play--they are puppies--they have distroyed the backyard--as it is all mud--they are 9 months old now--still terrible--but should I seed--they like to dig holes in the back also--should I just put gravel out? This might cause problems...

Swamping area in backyard [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have owned my house for 2 years now. We bouight it in winter so when spring came and all the water we notice major swamping in the middle of our backyard and it is a big section of it. It is so bad that I can't let the kids play back there. Any tips on how to fix this that won't be so costly....

Mud in the ear! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have 2 airedales, one of them has developed a pain in the ear! He has what I heard on a search for such problems as a muddy like substance in his left ear. I was able to gently q tip it out but its still stinky and it is very tender. I see no raw or abnormities on the ear flap. Did I read...

Lint is flying out of our vent into the backyard [ 3 Answers ]

New home, 5 year old dryer... We have lint coming out of the vent connected to the dryer, and it is making a mess on our patio. Please let me know what I can do.

View more questions Search