Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KBaby23 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Car sick
    My shihtzu gets car sick every time we take him for a ride, even just short 15min trips I thought maybe this would cure itself if we kept at it little rides here and there but it never fails every time he vomits in the car. I was thinking about trying a gravol next time before we go but will this make him drowsy,or will it help? I can't keep him out of the car unfortunately he needs to go to the groomers.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 29, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Gravol is okay but check the package for weight or dosage, o ask you vet how much you can him.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Kbaby, Tickle is right. You need to speak with your vet about what products and dosages are available for your dog. Shihtzu are too small to take any chances with them. Some vets recommend 1/4 tablet of dramamine for a small dog.

I don't have a lot of time right now, but you can desensitize him to the car. I will try to find the time to write something up and post it for you to try when you are ready, if you are interested.
    KBaby23 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 04:47 PM
    I am interested in some more information whenever you get a chance that would be great thanks!
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 12:21 PM
    KBaby, I haven't had a lot of time in the past couple of days. So, I found this online. It is very close to what I would have written for you. It is an excerpt from dogtrainingbasics.com:

PROBLEM CASES - HOW TO DESENSITIZE YOUR DOG TO CAR RIDES
    Dogs who become carsick must be exposed SLOWLY to riding in the car. Each step should take a week, and if the dog gets sick on a step, you need to back off to the previous step until he doesn't get sick.

1. Put the dog in the car. Have a toy to keep the dog's mind off the car, but don't let him get too rowdy.

2. Dog in the car, car started and running in driveway.

3. Dog in the car, car started. Back down the driveway and then move back up the driveway (IF the dog hasn't gotten sick on the way down!)

4. Dog in the car, take car around the block (shorten the trip for a week if even that is too much)

5. Dog in the car, take car to local convenience store and back home (or any place close but farther than around the block with a couple of starts and stops along the way).

6. Dog in the car, short trip (you decide the length based on how your dog is responding.

Dogs who get carsick will especially benefit from either a crate (especially the more enclosed plastic crates) or a seatbelt (check your local pet shop for dog seat belts). These will limit unsteady movements. Keep in mind, dogs don't always vomit when they are carsick. Some may just drool excessively or look wet around the mouth and may have a sick or queasy look in their eyes. Watch your dog for signs of carsickness and work with the steps above to make both of you feel better!

Pam Young, LVT CDBC CPDT
    Dog Gone Good LLC
    Dog Behavior Consultant
    Personal Dog Trainer

The only thing I would add to this is that you need to extend the time each day for each step. So, on step one, start with 3 minutes of just sitting in the car. The next day, take is to 6 minutes, the 3rd day 10 minutes, just keep adding up the minutes so by the end of the first week, on step one, you are up to 30 minutes. Bring a book with you to keep you occupied so you don't get antsy.

Then, do the same for each subsequent step you take. I know this is very time consuming but it is the only thing that will possibly work. You have to be patient. If it is just too much for you, then I would suggest the crate and whatever medication your vet suggests is appropriate for your dog.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 1, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Car sickness is one more problem I have managed to avoid. Likely it is one of the things puppies I have are specifically bred to avoid. It may also be due to training the puppies to ride on the floor. That is surprisingly easy starting with a 7 week old. I have even had good luck with dogs as much as a year and a half. You do have to run the A/C on days you might do without.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 01:16 PM
    I agree labman. In the end the best way to train a dog not to get car sick, is when they are puppies. When they are older, it is such a hard problem to overcome. KBaby may find success if she places the dog in a crate on the floor in the back seat area. It is a more stable and secure environment for a fearful dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Car battery or car generator [ 4 Answers ]

How do you tell if you need a new generator or battery? t-you

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

New car vs. Used car interst [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, Is there a set limit of interest that can be charged to a new car loan for a first time buyer with a not so good credit rating living in New Jersey. If in the event there is do you know of a link that will back it up so I can research it,

View more questions Search