Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    natedog74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 03:17 AM
    I have had the same problem as forwardthinking... probably thought too much when I should just be enjoying the conversation. I can still recall this running commentary in my head where I'd think of something to say, then analyse it, then think it wasn't that clever, and by that time, the conversation would move on and I'd start the whole cycle again. It seems ludicrous, I know, but that's the way it was (and sometime still is, to be honest). This was coupled with mumbling, so at social gatherings I'd often feel like I wasn't even there - even when I did have something to say!

It's not quite the same as just being shy; it's more a matter of being too self-aware or self-conscious to participate in a collective discussion. (Yes, I know: we should just try to live in the moment, without self-regard, but this is a very hard thing to teach yourself.) I find that parties and other large social gatherings are more about exhibition or acting, than they are about conversing... but that's another issue...

Anyway, what helped for me is that I worked as a waiter and a barman for about 5 years while getting through university. I was continually facing new people and needing to build a rapport with strangers. I had to present myself well, and that includes having good articulation. The other thing is that, in being in a different environment as a waiter, I could use this to focus on my speech. I still catch myself out talking quietly from time to time. But it's nowhere as bad as I used to be.

I'm hardly Orson Welles, now, of course. But I'm better than I was. So, if you're wealthy, there's vocal training and voice teachers. If you're poor, do some bar/waiting (and all the while, tell yourself it's about the speech improvements, not the crappy work conditions) and practice projecting your voice. And as the man said - "Express yourself!"
    JMslim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2011, 09:02 PM
    Ummm same here... I mumble a lot sometimes when I'm with new people. I have a deep voice, but with I'm with my close friend all of them understand me because I could speak fluently or pronunciate everything fluently... all in all I think it depends on not your voice but your heart rate... for example if you are nervous your heart has a break down wich I mean becomes not steady. Which causes you to mispronunciate words... or if your heartbeats slow and you have a deep voice it becomes very mumbled. I think that speaking classes is a very good treatment for people lk you and me. In fact ima go check it out
    xaxaxa Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2011, 11:48 AM

I also mumble way too much, and have a very deep voice. I've been a live mobile DJ for years, and have takin' voice/singing lessons for a semester even though I cannot carry a tune very well, and have a somewhat monotone voice.

The main thing I took away from the voice lessons is to project my voice from my chest/stomach rather than my throat. Also, keeping your adams apple in the same place is important in carrying a tune. When I go from a low to high pitch- my adams apple moves about 6 inch's up and down, and is very prominent/noticeable. It's very difficult for me to keep it in the same place. I'm not tone deaf, and by the end of the lessons I sounded all right when singing an Italian-type opera song. The voice teacher explained that the Italian language has a better syllable diversity within each word.

About 50% of the time people say I sound really good on the mic, and have a natural voice for it - I've noticed it has to do with the confidence I have when saying something. So, usually when I plug businesses and such- I trail off and mumble it. When I'm giving a shout-out to a friend, or asking for song requests my voice sounds good. I know this from feedback, not from listening to my own voice. Ladies will even come up, and compliment me - even other DJ's compliment me when I speak well.

Everyone on here has had good tips thus far, and I think I'll try reading out loud to myself (great tip).

Smiling has a huge benefit - try cussing yourself out in the mirror while smiling; you'll notice it doesn't even sound like your mad, and also (psychologically) you're thinking about smiling more than how you're talking.

I seem to attempt listening to my voice over the speakers while I'm speaking- this weakens my enunciation, and increases my mumbling. Listening to yourself isn't a good idea. If people tell you that you'll mumble - you have a feedback method so you won't have to listen to yourself. You will start to notice that no one says that anymore.

It's easier to explain than actually do. I still sometimes have trouble. I'm also a psych major, and confidence in yourself is a huge benefactor when speaking. I have a weak vocabulary, and sometimes I'll use words that I've heard but only formed an assumption as to what the word means rather than looking it up. This causes me to mumble the word because I am not confident that I'm using the word correctly.

Also, people react to negative comments, or constructive criticism more actively than a "good job" or "that's correct." It is human nature to be concerned with what people don't agree with rather than what they do like, even if it is constructive criticism- it still is a, more or less, negative assessment. If this is the case, people will naturally focus on that negative feedback when attempting to do the same action previously criticized.

Looking people in the eye will greatly improve your confidence, and presently remind you that you're trying to explain/say something that you want the person to hear. Looking people in the eye will create a more active/engaged listener which will make you a more active/engaged speaker. Kind of like when someone sees someone else yawn, and you yawn as well. Or (studies show) if you smile it projects a happy feeling to the person that sees you smile (vice-versa). However, the more insecure person may take this as you being cocky, which is obviously not true.

You'll find that the truths we cling to greatly depend on our own perception of an experience.

I should also say that I'm bi-polar (not self-diagnosed),and am depressed a lot. I've had two manic stages in my life that lasted about a month, and the depression that followed lasted over a year. During the manic stage I was over anxious to speak to people, and was definitely speaking more clearly. During the depression, I was a constant mumbler.

This is why I got into psychology and Deejaying- it helps me understand and distract me (respectively) from swimming inside my head too much.

I'm not saying this is your problem by any means, but I thought it might further give some insight into mumbling being affected by confidence levels.

I'm 30 years old, and through experience I've found that my voice is a super valuable asset when used correctly. When people say you have a deep voice, they are probably envious, or attracted to it.

It's kind of funny (to me) that a mumbler is a Deejay at bars and clubs- I'm not the best but I've never been fired or that badly criticized for it. I'm guessing because of my deep voice, and maybe my attempt to always joke about everything. I used to work fast-food as a kid, and would always get compliments about how great I sounded through the drive-thru speaker. HaHa.

Another good life tip I have is that a good way to make friends is asking them questions about the person- people always love to talk about themselves, and if your an engaged listener they will feel that your easy to talk to. Ergo, fun to be around.

This stuff has helped me, and hope it helps someone out there. Any feedback would be great, being a psych major, Im always intrigued by people. Or a simple thank you goes a long way :)

That's all I got- I hope I could help. I'm going to try that reading out loud thing.
    Shakil555 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2011, 04:48 AM
    Hello everyone.. I have in speaking.. I go too fast I can't even take the words completely... I trty to repeat the movie dialogs of actors.. but I can't do well.. people say that ,"you talk fast, we are unable to understand! I before I talk I think in my mind whether I can pronunce the words or!!
    JMslim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2011, 07:23 PM
    Guys,I know how you guys feel but really the only way as I have learned out. Our key is confidence on how we act and talk even though you might not feel like it is. Take steps and try to help yourself out with boosting your confidence.
    emad848 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 01:55 AM
    Try memorizing poems, it worked for me. Stay with simple written poems don't try the hard ones. It really stimulates something in the brain that can get you on track fast, peace... Emad
    folrin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
    To be honest, I am having the same problem just like you. Friends will always say things about you however don't take it too serious just try and work on your voice and (mumbling) if you don't want to take voice lessons then just get a really complicated story book and then start reading very loud in your room make sure that you are alone because if someone is there with you then they will surely take the piss out of you and you won't achieve your objectives as you will feel like a really bad reader.

Make sure you read very loud try and make sure you say every word as good as you can, even if you feel like you have mumbled a word just repeat over and over again for a few times and hopefully you will be fine.

And just a word of experience, I have noticed that when I hold the skin of my neck really tight I seem to pronounce words properly without mumbling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I talk to her or not? [ 6 Answers ]

OK so my best friend and I are like sisters and are always together and there for each other But over the last week that our other close friend is at her dads house she has been a to me and I don't know why I haven't done anything toher execpt be nice and try to be there for her because she is...

How to get him talk to me again [ 30 Answers ]

Hello, everyone. I would like to share my trouble. I am currently having problems in relationship with my boyfriend whom I happened met during my study. Last year, I found out that I got pregnant from him. Everything was unplanned and I did not expect this to happened. So I told him through...

Why would she talk to me now? [ 5 Answers ]

I had the best relationship of my life with this one girl. Six months have gone by and my Ex-girlfriend of two years just contacted me through an online gaming service Xbox Live(exactly like an instant messenger). She said, "Nothing's changed. I have been thinking about you lately and was...

What to talk about [ 5 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me with conversations. I tend to be a more shy person and when I do try to talk to people I don't know what to talk about and then I feel awkward. Im sick of being the "quiet" girl that no one knows. Please help if you can. By the way, I'm in high...

View more questions Search