Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pack Leader Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Apr 26, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Is it possible to have a Pit Bull / Jack Russel mix?
    This is my dog Nicky. Is it possible for him to be a Pit/Jack Russel mix?
    Attached Images

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 04:05 AM
    It certainly sounds like a good guess to me. Good to hear from somebody giving what looks like a nice dog a good home. The parentage of mixed breeds can be tough. It is possible for a female to mate with more than one male and not all the puppies in a litter have the same father.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 04:49 AM
    Wow Labman, I never knew that!

Apr 27, 2007, 09:22 AM
    But, is is possible for those 2 breeds to mate? (how would that work? A ladder? Lol)

Does he look like he could be those breeds mixed? He was also from the shelter. I got him when he was 8 weeks old. He is blind in one eye and has a dent in his head... it's so hard to imagine that he was abused at such an early age. He does fine with one eye but he still has nightmares at night and has a very, very short attention span.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Hmmm short attention span... that sounds like a JRT. And he has the cute JRT face. How much does he weigh?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Hi. I am not sure what happened to my earlier posting here. I did answer after your other post.

First, yes Tuscany, labman is right about different parentage in one litter. Weird to us humans, but true.

Pack Leader, you are such a sweetheart rescuing all these dogs. And, it never ceases to amaze me how cruel people can be. It is hard for us to imagine that someone could hurt a helpless puppy or kitten but it happens all too frequently. I have seen so many things that would turn your stomach. My brother adopted a pug (Abner Puggerman :p) years ago from one of the Pug rescues. Someone burned his eye out with a cigarette and burned the poor thing on his genitals as well. There are some people who just really suck, big time. Thank God you were there to take all the dogs in that you have.

Nicky does look like he has pit or Staffordshire and Jack Russell. Hey, anything is possible. I don't know about the ladder, LOL, but where there is a will, there is a way.
    He might be a product of a JR/Beagle mix parent on one side. The JR traits may have been more dominant in the outcome (Nicky). It is so hard to know definitively when they are adopted. But, hyperness and short attention span are a trait of JRs.

Apr 27, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany
    hmmm short attention span...that sounds like a JRT. And he has the cute JRT face. How much does he weigh?
    He is about 75 lbs
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Apr 28, 2007, 10:46 PM
    Not sure about the ultimate possibility of such, but I would be very inclined to agree with your assessment of your dog. Looks pretty accurate to me, if one had to venture a guess of course.
    In regard to multiple fathers in a litter, I can personally confirm this. Someone let my English Setter loose one day, and she later became pregnant and had a litter of four puppies. Two wound up looking like Rottweilers, and the other two looked like Yellow Labs. They couldn't have been any further apart in their coloring, both from each other and their mother. I have one of the Rottweiler mixes and he has grown to be quite large, far bigger than his mother.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2007, 11:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1970
    Not sure about the ultimate possibility of such, but I would be very inclined to agree with your assessment of your dog. Looks pretty accurate to me, if one had to venture a guess of course.
    In regard to multiple fathers in a litter, I can personally confirm this. Someone let my English Setter loose one day, and she later became pregnant and had a litter of four puppies. Two wound up looking like Rottweilers, and the other two looked like Yellow Labs. They couldn't have been any further apart in their coloring, both from each other and their mother. I have one of the Rottweiler mixes and he has grown to be quite large, far bigger than his mother.

Oh Tom, not sure how I would feel about that. I would feel my little girl was violated. My goodness. Oh beautiful little ones were born as a result. I never knew that myself about the different parentage. Can't wait to stump my hubby with that piece of trivia ;)

PackLeader, I'm not sure about Nicky's mix, but sounds like what you and everyone thinks is pretty darn close. All I do know is I sure would love to kiss that adoarable face, can you give Nicky one for me :). Bless you for all the love you give these wonderful animals.
    karil-05 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 11:56 PM
    It's very possible. I once had a JRSD-jack Russell sausage dog. So yes that may be a cross too.

runescape will last foreverIF IT DONT KILL JAGEX!

Apr 29, 2007, 12:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    Oh Tom, not sure how I would feel about that. I would feel my little girl was violated. My goodness. Oh beautiful little ones were born as a result. I never knew that myself about the different parentage. Can't wait to stump my hubby with that piece of trivia ;)

PackLeader, I'm not sure about Nicky's mix, but sounds like what you and everyone thinks is pretty darn close. All I do know is I sure would love to kiss that adoarable face, can ya give Nicky one for me :). Bless you for all the love you give these wonderful animals.

Done. Nicky gave a big sloppy kiss in return. ((((Thank you)))
    I just joined this board and I really like it here.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 12:38 AM
    Pack,

So glad to hear that. It is an amazing site with just amazing wonderful people.

There is another thread you may enjoy. It's where people post pictures of there pets. Here's the link. Enjoy! She is a beauty!!

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/member...ure+of+my+pets

Apr 29, 2007, 12:43 AM
    Thank you :)

Do you guys have accounts on Dogster?

Here is Annie's page, you can click on her family and see Nicky's profile, as well as Katie.

Dog profile for Annie, a female German Shepherd/Beagle
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 12:47 AM
    So this is the cutie pie that turns circles... LOL...
    What an adorable dog!
    He is so cute!
    And you are so kind for adopting the little guy and giving him a good home despite his disability.

Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Jack Russel Terrier [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know where i can adopt a jack russel terrier puppy 8-11 weeks old in cali?

Pit Bull Ban [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the Ban's on pit bulls in the US! Is there a list of citys and states that have a ban on Pit Bulls? I have a pit bull mix and she is my best friend and the best dog I have ever had! Were looking at moving some time in the near future and I will not live in a place where...

Pit bull has worms [ 2 Answers ]

My dog (pitt bull)has worms that are shaped kind of like a tooth, and he won't gain any weight, it looks like I am starving him. What kind are these worms and how do I get rid of them??

7 year old pit bull [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My name is Brad and I'm new here. I have a question about my 7 year old pitbull. He is in heat because we have a 9 month old girl who just started her period. My question is. What do I do if my dog will not eat while in heat? I know the vet is the best thing to do but I just had spine...

Jack Russel Terrier [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know where i can adopt a jack russel terrier puppy 8-11 weeks old in cali?

View more questions Search