Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hayesme Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Corian countertop removal
    A friend has offered me his Corian countertops for my kitchen, if I come remove them from his kitchen. Do you need special equipment to cut Corian, or can you do it with a circular saw or reciprocal saw? Is there a certain blade type I should use?
    kidolph Posts: 90, Reputation: 12

May 1, 2007, 04:49 AM
    Corian is a little harder than Hickory and a little softer than true Ivory. You can cut it even with your grandfather's handsaw. An all purpose blade in a sabre saw or recip saw works well for general demolition. A circular handsaw with a fence attached to the Corian and a carbide tipped blade works better.

For best results, don't push hard. A speed of 30 inches per minute will give you excellent results. Before cutting, actually practice this speed by putting down a yardstick and moving your hand over it for one minute from end to end. This method will not strain your saw, will extend blade life, will not bend the blade during cutting and will reduce the amount of fine dust you create in the process. By keeping the gullets between saw teeth clear you will not be pounding the Corian shavings into the fine dust that flies all over. The shavings however will be statically attracted to all local surfaces including your hands.

Work safely.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 1, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Also, get yourself a good mask before you start cutting. I also put the 2" hose of my shop vac next to my saw to catch as much dust as possible. Allow the vac to run several minutes after the cutting is done. It will actually clean the air a bit.
    kidolph Posts: 90, Reputation: 12

May 1, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Very good point about the Shop Vac.
    hayesme Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Thanks for all the specifics!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Corian Countertop Repair [ 12 Answers ]

Does anyone have a good product to sand a lightly scratched corian countertop? Dupont only gives general guidelines. The scratches are from normal use. Thanks

Corian Countertop Repair [ 7 Answers ]

I was drilling on my white Corian kitchen countertop and accidentally drilled 2 holes about 1/8" deep into a Corian countertop. The holes are too deep to sand away. Is there a way to repair these holes with some kind of fill?

Corian countertop crack repair [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, Would anyone know where I can get a Corian repair kit and instructions on how to repair the crack in my counter? I would like to repair it myself. Thank you.

Repair corian countertop [ 7 Answers ]

I had a corian countertop, by accident I put a bottle of chemical jell (for cleaning paint) on top of counter, a bottle leak & caise a 2x2 damage spot. How do I repair it? I have extra cutting board for matching it to repair.

Sanding Corian countertop [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find Corian refinishing kit?

View more questions Search