Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmarmac5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Broke shower handle
    My shower handle just fell off and all that's left looks like a screw so I have been using a screwdriver to turn on the shower. Can I go to the store and purchase a handle and install it myself or do I need to call a plumber?
    babypreg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 07:00 PM
    If you think you could do it then go for it and if your not really sure what to do then call a plumber;)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 07:23 PM
    No need to call a plumber. If you can get the screw out, just take what is left of the old knob to a hardware or home center and look for one that will fit. Sometimes the screw won't come out. Here is an answer I posted in response to a specific question about removing a screw.

''Quote:
    Originally Posted by lnz
    Snip...

By the way- is there a good way to try and unscrew an old corroded screw without damaging the head?

Usually getting it out is more important than saving the head. You can replace it. However, destroying the head before you have it out is counterproductive. Some screws will not yield to a proper fitting, quality screwdriver. Heat works well on iron and steel. Even with them, I find hammering on things is often more quick. The trick is to hit stuff hard enough to distort it, but it still springs back without staying bent or breaking. When it moves, it breaks apart the rust, corrosion, lime, etc. holding it. A little spray lube helps too. I like silicone oil. I can use the same can to remove stuff and to lubricate things I don't want to gum up. It also doesn't swell rubber. The hammering opens up the joint long enough for the oil to wick in. You can put a good screwdriver with a tough plastic handle in the screw head and hammer on it. Often after a few minutes of that, the screw will back out. There are little hand impact tools that work great too. They take a bit or socket at one end and you hit the other end with a hammer. They twist when you hit them. Provides both the impact and the twist. If the head does strip or twist off without it coming loose, you can switch to a punch. Work at the edge pushing it in the way it unscrews. If the head twists off, you should be able to remove the knob. Then you can unscrew the assembly and carry it to your shop for further work if it is worth salvaging. A good hardware store is a better place for it. Match it to a new one. Note, hot and cold are not interchangeable. If the knob is worse for the wear or just old and shabby, they have new ones. It would gaul me to go through all that in a rental.

The above techniques will work on shower heads too. From your more recent posts, that sounds like where the problem is.

Comments on this post
    Doug238 disagrees: I think we were talking about the shower arm and head. I think you are talking about the stem.''

The nut that holds the cartridge in should be exposed with the know broken off. As in my answer above, you can shut the water off and remove the cartridge.

I often put something on a screw to make sure I can get it out if I have to in 10 years, silicone grease, Anti-Seize, oil, something.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Heat works well on iron and steel. Even with them, I find hammering on things is often quicker. The trick is to hit stuff hard enough to distort it, but it still springs back without staying bent or breaking. When it moves, it breaks apart the rust, corrosion, lime, etc. holding it.
    While not unheard of, "iron and steel" are pretty darn rare in shower valve applications, Labman.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Door handle screw broke on GE Advantium [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GE Advantium micro/convection oven. The bottom screw broke on the handle. I can see no way do get inside the door to replace the screw. It's a silly problem, but I don't want to pay a repairman $50+ just to tell me I have a screw loose! There's got to be a simple solution. Help, anyone?

Removing handle from a Moen single-handle shower [ 5 Answers ]

The shower is dripping and I am trying to get to the stem by removing the handle. I can see a set screw recessed into the bottom of the handle. I have tried an allen wrench but bent it without any success.

Shower handle broken off [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: I have an unknown 3 handle shower with the middle handle broken off with the screw and part of the pipe that it fits into, in it! How do I fix this now? Thanks!

One handle shower valve [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Kohler one handle shower valve that does not permit me to get hot enough water. Water heat is OK and hot water is available in other bathrooms. How do I change the valve to get hotter water. Admiral

Shower Handle [ 1 Answers ]

The single handle shower control knob needs to be turned slightly on to prevent dripping at the faucet when turned off. I also can't seem to get the water hot enough for my shower. Am I just catching the water heater at a "down" cycle or is something deteriorating in the handle mechanism?

View more questions Search