Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nookie46 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Alcohol detox
    My son is 24 and has an extremely bad drinking problem, he has had 4 seizures this year when he doesn't drink, he is on anti seizure meds & anti anxiety also, we are trying to get him into a 3 day detox right now (no beds available), does anyone know any ways of helping him through this until a bed is available, he is scheduled to go into rehab the 1st of May.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Unsupervised alcohol detox can be very very dangerous. I am wondering if he is having these seizures as a result of detoxing, as this is a common detox symptom.

You only have a few more days until May 1, it might be in your best interest to wait, as alcohol detox is one of the most dangerous detoxes of all drugs.

I will keep you in my thoughts.
    Pack Leader Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Apr 26, 2007, 09:20 PM
    I feel for you and your family with the situation you are facing. I have been there with loved ones numerous times and I have learned from my experience. You don't mention if your son is the one who is asking for help.

I have learned that most detox/rehab facilities TELL you that they won't have beds available for three days. This is because they want to know that you are serious about getting help. If your son is serious, if HE calls them daily or goes down there, they will help him sooner. He can also go to a hospital if he is having physical problems related to alcohol. If he is in physical danger, they will give him the medication he needs (they usually give Ativan for detoxing) and they will admit him into the appropriate facility.

Good luck to your and your family.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alcohol Addiction [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a cure for an alcoholic

The source of detox [ 2 Answers ]

What causes the cramps,insomnia,cold sweats during oxycotin detox

Alcohol recovery [ 3 Answers ]

How to determine if someone may have a drinking problem? What can be done? What are possible means of recovery, or treatment if someone has a drinking problem?

Alcohol Related [ 2 Answers ]

"To what extent should an owner of a bar, restaurant, or any other commercial establishment that dispenses alcoholic beverages be legally responsible for any injuries or other adverse consequences incurred or sustained by a patron or customer who has shown signs of intoxication but has been served...

Alcohol: 70% or 99%? [ 1 Answers ]

For cleaning keyboards, door knobs/handles, table tops, etc. Which is better, the 70% or the 99%?

View more questions Search