Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hehkupar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Dcom exploit a virus or something else
    Hi, my computer on the ofiice where it is connected to the local network used to get prompt message like "dcom exploit with some ip address".Sometimes the computer used to get restart by itself and the message prompt was that of lsass.exe.is it that someone is trying to access my computer or someone is sending virus through this lsass.exe.Even the internet explorer is sometimes affexted & has become slow.The computer in the office is connect only to lan not with internet.Does dcom exploit and lsass.exe have some relation?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 25, 2007, 04:35 AM
    That message is normally to do with the Sassar virus.
    Time for a serious clean out.

Here's my usual C&P for cases like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben's maintenance tips
    When was the last time you did some serious maintenance on your system ?

System maintenance includes:
    Defrag
    FULL patching
    Virus scanning
    Spyware scanning
    removal of rubish files

Defrag is an inbuilt function in XP.
    Open My Computer > Right click C: > Tools Tab and its there.

To make sure everything is running fine run both anti virus and anti spyware apps in normal AND safe modes. (make sure that they are updated first ! ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Just a note: actively running two AV's on one machine can cause problems.
    So if you are thinking about it make sure your current one is disabled first.
    Same thing applies to online scanners as well.

Removal of junk files is easy with CCleaner a free app that does exactly what

If all this fails then a repair install may be in order:

Here's the official Micro$oft way of doing it,
    and Here's one with screen shots.

Basically this installs windows over the top of your current setup.
    So you don't loose any information you already have.
    This lot should resolve your issue.
    ANETGames Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Apr 25, 2007, 01:55 PM
    An exploit isn't always detected by antivirus software,
    In this case, it will be best to look for a security patch.

Unless the computer is connected to the internet somehow, then an exploit cannot be executed via a remote attacker, unless the attacker is plugged into the LAN, like a co-worker or someone else like that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DSO Exploit [ 242 Answers ]

____________________________________________ * Moderator's edit * If you are having trouble regarding the DSO Exploit, please take a look at http://www.pchell.com/support/dsoexploit.shtml. It will answer the most common questions. Happy holidays, ~psi42 * End edit *

DSO Exploit [ 6 Answers ]

My computer (XP) switched off automatically. After running spypot; I found out the computer was infected by DSO Exploit. I treid all kind off salutions but without any succes. At last I decided to run the recoverydisc. During recovery the PC allso keeps switching of. Now my PC cannot run XP...

DSO Exploit [ 6 Answers ]

Since a few month my computer (XP homeedition) switches of power unexpectely. Especially when info is transferred from one to another place. Like editing films, watching DVD etc. After running Spybot I found out the PC is infected with DSO Exploit. I treid allmost everything but the PC kept...

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

DOS Exploit [ 10 Answers ]

I ran spybot and came up with DOS exploit.  I've tried a few of the tips previous users gave but it is still showing up.  I have the CWShredder but I have no idea what to do with it.  The computer guys at my school installed all these items and didn't explain what they do.  I don't want to do...

View more questions Search