Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BostonLover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 11:02 PM
    Scared of the leash
    My 4 month old Boston is very timidat at times, but mostly a pretty happy girl. She squirmed out of my arms due to excitement and broke her leg about three weeks ago. She's in a cast now and acts like its not even there. She plays, jumps, everything.

I attempted to get her started on a leash inside the house, so that she will be used to it by the time she gets out of her cast in a week, and in time ready to hit the out-doors. The problem is, she freaks out every time we put it on her. She freezes up, ducks and starts yelping at the smallest tug. I'm not sure what to do. She won't even take treats, she's too scared. I don't think it's hurting her when we tug, I think she's just deciding to be stubborn. I don't know weather to correct her when she's like that, or encourage her. I don't want her to think of the leash as a negative experience every time we put it on her. I don't want to put anymore stress on her because of her leg, but I don't want this behavior. Any advise?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 03:14 AM
    Try putting the leash on and just letting her drag it around. Perhaps pick up a cheap one, and cut it in half so it is shorter. Once she is used to that, walk her around in the house for short periods.
    frustratedcivic Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonLover
    My 4 month old Boston is very timidat at times, but mostly a pretty happy girl. She squirmed out of my arms due to excitement and broke her leg about three weeks ago. She's in a cast now and acts like its not even there. She plays, jumps, everything.

I attempted to get her started on a leash inside the house, so that she will be used to it by the time she gets out of her cast in a week, and in time ready to hit the out-doors. The problem is, she freaks out everytime we put it on her. She freezes up, ducks and starts yelping at the smallest tug. I'm not sure what to do. She wont even take treats, shes too scared. I don't think it's hurting her when we tug, I think shes just deciding to be stubborn. I don't know weather to correct her when shes like that, or encourage her. I don't want her to think of the leash as a negative experience everytime we put it on her. I don't want to put anymore stress on her because of her leg, but I don't want this behavior. Any advise??
    Try a harness. Small dogs sometimes respond to these better.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 10:13 AM
    I have to say that both are great suggestions. In fact I like them both so much that I am going to combine them.

We leash trained our puppy by using a harness (better for his back since doxies are prone to back problems) and letting him drag a small cotton lead around the house. It worked pretty well. Tuscany is much better with the leash.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy won't walk on leash [ 4 Answers ]

My three month old puppy won't walk on a leash, as soon as I hook her leash up she just ducks and stays close to the ground and even tries pulling away sometimes. I if carry her away from the house and put her down with the leash attached she will go back to the house but that is the only time she...

Dog won't walk with me on leash [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a 4 month old puppy. She stubbornly sits and won't budge when I try to take her on walks. Anyone know how I can get her to stop doing it and l walk with me?

Leash training an old dog [ 2 Answers ]

We have taken in a dog that is about 8yrs old and I don't know how to train her to walk on a leash. When you put the leash on her and hold on to the end, she does not move. She acts scare of it. What do I do to teach her to walk on a leash.

Sheltie won't walk on a leash [ 2 Answers ]

My sheltie just turned two years old and we cannot get him to walk on a leash. We tried everything, halter, letting him sit there for a couple hours, food, nothing will get him to budge. Any suggestions?

Leash training [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know at what age to begin leash training with a puppy... I actually started my 12 week Chihuahua in the kitchen and rewarding him when he walks with the leash. When I get him outside he's OK for about 5 minutes and then all the sudden he begins to tug and cry so I immediately take the...

View more questions Search