Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2005, 10:01 PM
    90 civic si starting problems... (sound familiar?)
    Hi guys boy am I glad I stubled on this site!

Well let me start by saying I have read through every thread in here and found none that are simmular to my problem.

I just bought a project car from the police auction it is a 90 civic si. The problem that I have is when I turn the key all I get is a nice "weeeeeeeeee" sound from the starter. The engine does not turn over at all. So I pulled the starter out and picked up another from the junk yard and it still does the same thing! (could be another bad starter for all I know) it is an automatic so I can't push start it to see if it is something else. I assume that it is the starter, and I am praying that it is nothing major in the engine! Any suggestions or advice would be great.

Once again I believe the starter is spinning ( well it sounds like it is) but the engine does not want to turn over. My ears are sick of this whirrr sound!

Thanks
    Chris.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 26, 2005, 03:02 AM
    I am not familiar with automatic transmissions, but I remember reading once that starter has a clutch of it's own. If the starter is turning, but the engine does not turn over, I think the problem might be in it's clutch, not connecting the starter to the crankshaft.

Also, problem might be in the transmission itself. I believe I read somewhere that automatic transmission cars cannot be started unless the transmission is in Park mode, or something like that. Perhaps this sensor that tells ECU in which gear the transmission is, does not work.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2005, 01:02 PM
    Different cars use different systems to engage and disengage the starter. Some use a solenoid to push the starter motor gear back to engage the flywheel. There will be a smaller round thing on the starter with a lever running from it to the end of the starter. It will also have contacts to connect the battery cable to the starter. If your car has the lever, make sure it works freely. Others rely on a helix and inertia to move the gear. Again, there may be a round thing on top of the starter, but it is only a relay, or the relay may be up on the fender. Remove the starter again, and make sure the gear moves freely on the shaft, sliding back with the least push on the teeth. If not, take it apart and clean it. Put a light oil, maybe a silicone on it. To thick of an oil, and the oil won't let it move when it is cold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'91 honda civic starting problems [ 18 Answers ]

Hi: I am having problems with my '91 Honda civic DX when I drive for a while, then I stop the engine for 5-10 minutes to do some shopping or whatever... and then try to start again. It doesn't start at all. But if I wait another 5 or 10 minutes and I try again, usually starts. I don't have any...

91 Honda Civic DX Starting Problems [ 2 Answers ]

My honda civic dx has a hard time starting sometimes. This only happens occasionally but it'll turn over, but just won't ever start. It happened first about a month ago and is happening once a day now. I replaced the spark plugs and I don't know what else to do.

91 civic starting problems [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, my 91 civic hatchback dx suddenly quit while driving--as if it ran out of fuel, and I couldn't get her going again. The usual dash lights work when key turned to position 2 and the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds. The check engine light does not come on. The starter turns the motor over...

'95 Honda Civic DX stalling/starting problems [ 4 Answers ]

Last night my car stalled out on me after I made a right turn. When I eased it into a parking spot it refused to start back up. Doing some checks it cranks but there seems to be no fuel hitting the engine(sorry not too familiar with the inner workings of the car). I thought it might be the...

View more questions Search