Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joefayand3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Do I pay taxes on inherited money from abroad
    I might inherit money from my father who was a pakistani citizen. I am a dutch citizen, but a legal resident in the usa. I am wondering if I have to pay taxes over the amount I receive.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 09:53 AM
    You might want to ask this question in the taxes forum, but in general in the US you as an heir do not pay taxes on inherited property. However, the estate may owe taxes, if its value exceeds the exemption amount (currently around $2M or so).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance money from abroad [ 18 Answers ]

My mom will give me money when she sell her house abroad. The buyer can put the amount directly to my bank account here. Do I have to pay tax ( what category , how much ) . I do have proof of the house sold. ( selling contract an dother related paper - translated ). Thank you

How much tax do we pay for house/property inherited? [ 1 Answers ]

so I'm not sure how all these taxes work, but my mom was asking me if she put in her will to give one of us the house/property, how much tax do we pay or she pay? She also mentioned that there are some legal forms we have to sign for that too and that there are several types, which one would be...

Taxes on an inherited annuity [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away in 2005 and bequeathed his annuity to me and my sister. The funds (approximately $16,000 each) were distributed in 2006 and his estate paid the Federal and Colorado State taxes on it before my sister and I received our share. Because I deposited the entire amount into the...

Tax on Inherited Money in Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Does a new permanent resident of Canada (immigrated to Canada for less than a year) have to pay taxes on his/her inherited money when he/she wants to transfer it to Canada? I would appreciate any insight on the matter. Regards

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

View more questions Search