Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevo20x Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 11:20 PM
    My friend is addicted to World of Warcraft
    I need some help. My college friend and roommate is addicted to World of Warcraft (wow). It has really become an issue because for the most part all he does is go to class and play that game. On average he spends anywhere between 6-10 hours a day playing. It is even worse on the weekends. When I or my other roommates ask him to come out with us for anything (night on the town, movies, even dinner) he very rarely says yes and even he has to make sure he is back in time for "Instances". Can anyone help me in getting him to realize what he is doing to himself?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2007, 11:36 PM
    I know exactly what it is like to be addicted to a game because of having been addicted to one myself in the past.

Sounds like it is time for some "tough love" on your part to your friend.

One of the first things that I would say, is: "Hi, (name), Hey, just what is it about that game that makes you want to spend more time playing it than spending time with your friends? Do you value that game more than your friends? Because it sure seems like you do!"

"I'm just asking this as your friend, because I value our friendship very much. And, I don't want to lose you as a friend. Being friends means maintaining the friendship. And, I don't think that you are doing that."

"What do you think?"

Puts the ball in his court. It is up to him.

I know that it may sound harsh. But, it sounds like he needs a reality check!

This would be a start, anyway.

You might want to preface the above with, "I'm having a problem. And, I'm hoping that it is something that you can help me with." Would you?

Makes him feel as though it is "your" problem. And, as your friend, of course he is going to help you with it.

It is called "Winning Without Intimidation."
    Skater97 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 07:18 PM

Scare him by saying something like "If you stay on there long enough you will become heavy-set and girls will think your pathetic with your obsession
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2009, 11:01 PM

Thread is nearly two years old.

Thanks!
    rawr_itssonya Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

Mar 12, 2009, 08:02 PM

I'm addicted to that game too! Its like frickin crack, and I used to make fun of people who play it but now I'm one of them. Its horrible...
    h_leann_b Posts: 247, Reputation: 35

Mar 17, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rawr_itssonya View Post
    im addicted to that game too! its like frickin crack, and i used to make fun of people who play it but now im one of them. its horrible...

Omg I know right! It feels like 10 minutes go by but its really an hour. Haha. I am down from about 40 hours a week.. now to about 10-15. Which may seem like a lot to non-players.. but it's a pretty short time.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 06:54 AM

Yeah someone please find a cure, I have a new roommate and all he does is eat junk food, sleep, and play that damn game. We can't even get him to come out sometimes. It's depressing.

Buddies of mine already tried having an intervention with him to no avail.
    CallMeBel Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Mar 30, 2009, 02:02 PM

There is a cure coming for WOW. Not for a while though... it's called Diablo 3.

Which means... a new addiction may start... lol.

Apr 3, 2009, 02:28 AM

Well I unsubscribed a couple days ago. Go me, I'm on the way to "recovery" lol
    CallMeBel Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Apr 3, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Its because its so boring right now.. omg. It sucks. Hurry blizz

Apr 12, 2009, 12:26 AM

Yeah I seriously got bored, doing the same quests to level different characters just got too old too fast
    h_leann_b Posts: 247, Reputation: 35

Apr 14, 2009, 12:26 PM

Stupid patch day -_-
    Dave605 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2010, 04:49 AM

Wowdetox.com is your cure
    Stew96 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2011, 11:47 AM
    Tell him that he'll never, ever get laid.
    Urdaddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 11:51 AM
    Dude I ****ing know how you ****ing feel. I also have a friend who so ****ing addicted to wow. The only time he is not playing, is when he goes to school, he rarely ever eats, so his pale and thin, and when we invite him to something he says, "No, i'm busy trying to kill the lich king, or death wing, or im in a battelground."
    Always no.He ****ing has no social life. All he does is wow, he even makes up excuses for not coming to school, so he plays wow. When he is at school, all he talks about is wow, and when he is angry he offends you saying wow stuff like "I'm going to War Stomp you, then i will heal you, then i will summon my demon, and kill you." **** it, he was a good friend, he hanged out, but now... I need help too. He needs a life, I agree wow is an epic game I like it too, but what the heck, this is too much man, too much. Blizzard, for the good of all, cancel wow for at least a month, people need life! Please help me.
    Urdaddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2012, 05:10 PM
    Im sorry about this, but what I'm about to write is another problem that I need help with. See I have a girlfriend, we were fine together, you know, all that stuff. But now its different... when I make her laugh she'll try to stop and look down, when I try to kiss or hug her, shell brush off and look down or guilty or something. I love her, and by her reaction, I think I might have done something to make her unhappy, but I don't know what. I never hurt her, hit her, or made her sad. We had some fights, but nothing serious. Maybe, she's bored of me and wants to dump me, or maybe she's leaving me fro someone else. When I try to talk to her shell say"I'm sorry iv got to go." and just close off. If leaving me, makes her happy so be it, but ill miss her. I just want to know what's going on. Can someone tell me what's up, or help me or... something?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Friend is Addicted.. Needs Help [ 9 Answers ]

My friend is addicted to gasoline huffing.. he often haluctinates and does inhales from gas can almost eveyday. He has admitted he needs help but does not want to ask his parents. Is there anyway to help him get over this without asking from adult?

World of Warcraft Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Ever since the last patch, my WoW game has been acting weird. Every once in a while icons for spells will disappear, words will look like barcodes, items will have the wrong or no picture, and certain objects will turn black with multicolored spots. Also, every time I try to get into the...

Warcraft 2 [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if it was possible to play Warcraft 2 on Windows XP without the CD. Now I can download it, and install it, but when I go to play it the screen goes into what appears to be a Full Screen Dos mode. Then it blinks and goes back to the folder as if I hadn't done anything at all.

My best friend in the whole world is atheist. [ 29 Answers ]

Omg I'm in complete shock. Me and my best friend ever are brothers (might as well be). And I moved away and we both have had hard times since then. And we are depressed. I was just told by his girlfriend that he is aitheist. I don't know what do to really. I can't believe it. I mean we are...

My Friend is Addicted.. Needs Help [ 9 Answers ]

My friend is addicted to gasoline huffing.. he often haluctinates and does inhales from gas can almost eveyday. He has admitted he needs help but does not want to ask his parents. Is there anyway to help him get over this without asking from adult?

View more questions Search